• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Public Defender/In A Divorce

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

lalori44

What is the name of your state?RI
When you have no money for a Divorce Lawyer, can you have a public defender help you?

ceara19

lalori44 said:
When you have no money for a Divorce Lawyer, can you have a public defender help you?
A divorce is not the same as a criminal charge. You don't have the RIGHT to have an attorney, you can CHOOSE to have one though. Check your yellow pages for legal aid. You can request assistance from them. The court isn't going to assign an attorney to represent you in a divorce.

LdiJ

lalori44 said:
Not as far as I know. A public defender is for criminal cases. A handful of states provide court appointed attorneys in family law cases, but I don't recall RI being one of them.

ceara19

LdiJ said:
Not as far as I know. A public defender is for criminal cases. A handful of states provide court appointed attorneys in family law cases, but I don't recall RI being one of them.
Usually if the court appoints an attorney in a family law matter, they are assigned to represent the children's best interests.

Nocgirl

You can try calling legal aid to see if you qualify.

If your spouse was the sole breadwinner you can possibly see about charging them your legal fees, you would need to petition the couts fo that.

You do not necessarily need an attorney, many family courts offer low cost mediation. You and your spouse have to be in somewhat agreeance though. If you both want to battle it out then you will each need your own attorney's.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">