• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Public Records

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

M

MSimler

What is the name of your state? NJ

How does one get information about whether a divorce has been finalized? I see websites where you can pay someone to get copies of judgments, etc., but I assume these are public record and anyone can get one if they just know where to go.

I am interested in finding out if a man I know actually ever did file for divorce or if he is just conning me (and his alleged "ex"-wife). Short of going to the County Clerk's office, is this info easily available anywhere?

TIA,
MS

stealth2

Under the Radar Member
try here http://www.vitalrec.com/nj.html ... you'll still have to pay for a copy most likely, but that's where you'd find what there is. Good luck.

M

MSimler

Thanks for your quick response! I checked that link but it doesn't tell you whether any records exist, just lets you order them through a service. I guess if I really want to know I'll have to bite the bullet and pay the search fee. I just thought maybe I could get this info on my own - from wherever THEY are getting it. I honestly do not believe he ever filed anything, and now that his 18 months are up it will be interesting to see how he wriggles out of this one.

stealth2

Under the Radar Member
Well you could take a trip to Trenton and try to find out in person. Tho if it's only filed & not final, they may not have anything yet anyway - for that you may have to go to the county courthouse where it would've been filed. Anywhere in NJ is pretty much a day trip from anywhere else in NJ.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">