• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Public Records

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

What is the name of your state? CA

Can anyone walk into a court house with only the name of someone and search public records for divorce paperwork/civil matters and get copies of those papers or do you have to be a party to the action?

LdiJ

What is the name of your state? CA

Can anyone walk into a court house with only the name of someone and search public records for divorce paperwork/civil matters and get copies of those papers or do you have to be a party to the action?
Yep, anyone can.

CourtClerk

IN CALIFORNIA (which is the state you're in, and the only one I am familiar with)

Unlawful Detainers are confidential for the first 60 days. Only the parties to the action, including attorneys of record and anyone that can prove they live in the household can view the record.

Paternity Actions (where the parents were never married) are confidential cases and can only be viewed by the parties to the action -- ever.

Divorces are public record, the case statuses can be viewed online (where those counties have that type of action, LA county does). If you can get the case number (and they are easily obtainable), you can go to the courthouse and view the record, and yes, if you pay $.50 per page, you can get a copy.

Civil and Small Claims are public record from the date they are filed and can be viewed at anytime, by anyone. The same for probate cases, which are currently (in LA County) going through a process where all the documents are being scanned so they can be viewed online.

Juvenile traffic and delinquency cases are confidential and it's against the law to even admit a case exists.

CourtClerk

Cornfused NO MORE!!! Thanks... CC ---
You're welcome. So, no, you may not be able to get a copy of Bali's divorce decree, but if he was divorced in CA (which he wasn't), then you really could, although it would be beyond me why anyone would want a copy of someone else's personal business, but I guess, I'm just not that nosey.

And please don't be cornfused... a simple confused is sufficient :)

"someone" that lives with my exhusband sent me a notice of motion about the current child support dodging game that he's playing... that included a little declaration that said "when I pulled her other kids custody order"...

CourtClerk

"someone" that lives with my exhusband sent me a notice of motion about the current child support dodging game that he's playing... that included a little declaration that said "when I pulled her other kids custody order"...
If you were married to the other kids' dad, then it's possible. If you weren't, then they are either full of it, know someone at the courthouse, or someone there dropped the ball.

I think it's the first.... they were things that were sorta blanket statements that could have fit pretty much any case... good news is... she went against judges orders (through the civil case I filed against her).. by making contact with me --- It must really be rough on their relationship that the both of them spend the majority of their time obsessing over me ... MUAHAHAHAHAHAHAA..

Anyway... have a really good day

Isis1

IN CALIFORNIA (which is the state you're in, and the only one I am familiar with)

Unlawful Detainers are confidential for the first 60 days. Only the parties to the action, including attorneys of record and anyone that can prove they live in the household can view the record.

Paternity Actions (where the parents were never married) are confidential cases and can only be viewed by the parties to the action -- ever.

Divorces are public record, the case statuses can be viewed online (where those counties have that type of action, LA county does). If you can get the case number (and they are easily obtainable), you can go to the courthouse and view the record, and yes, if you pay $.50 per page, you can get a copy.

Civil and Small Claims are public record from the date they are filed and can be viewed at anytime, by anyone. The same for probate cases, which are currently (in LA County) going through a process where all the documents are being scanned so they can be viewed online.

Juvenile traffic and delinquency cases are confidential and it's against the law to even admit a case exists.
oh look. you covered with me this already and the lightbulb just barely turned on. this is why the ex's attorney had no access!! she didn't sub herself in until the day of the court hearing. so she had no access to this information!!

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">