• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Purchasing Property, while separated

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

B

bk21

What is the name of your state?What is the name of your state? Oregon

My wife and I have been separated for over 2 months, married over 20 years. We separated at the same time we sold our house. We equally split the profits from the House sale, as well as dividing all the furniture, cars, momentos, etc. We have not lived together since the sale of house, we don't share checking/saving or credit card accounts. Everything has been separated. We had only one child, but she is over 18 and living on her own, independently. We are'nt Legally Separared or Divorced.

I'm considering purchasing a House in either Oregon or Washington. I would be qualifying for this completely on my own and I would be the only person listed on the mortgage. Funds for the down payment would be from my part of the profits of the sale of the house, as listed above.

Tell me, is there any way she could make a claim to this property in the Future, because it was purchased while we are still married???

Is it necessary to be Legally Separated or Divorced, before purchasing the House??? I just don't want her coming back to me down the road and claiming she has any rights to this property, since she didn't have anything to do with its purchase.

Thanks

VeronicaGia

If OR is a community property state, it is very likely she can since you are still married. Get an attorney, don't do this until you understand the laws of your home state.

LdiJ

bk21 said:
What is the name of your state?What is the name of your state? Oregon

My wife and I have been separated for over 2 months, married over 20 years. We separated at the same time we sold our house. We equally split the profits from the House sale, as well as dividing all the furniture, cars, momentos, etc. We have not lived together since the sale of house, we don't share checking/saving or credit card accounts. Everything has been separated. We had only one child, but she is over 18 and living on her own, independently. We are'nt Legally Separared or Divorced.

I'm considering purchasing a House in either Oregon or Washington. I would be qualifying for this completely on my own and I would be the only person listed on the mortgage. Funds for the down payment would be from my part of the profits of the sale of the house, as listed above.

Tell me, is there any way she could make a claim to this property in the Future, because it was purchased while we are still married???

Is it necessary to be Legally Separated or Divorced, before purchasing the House??? I just don't want her coming back to me down the road and claiming she has any rights to this property, since she didn't have anything to do with its purchase.

Thanks
I always think its wiser to put off the purchase of serious assets until a divorce is complete. You should be able to be complete your's fairly quickly since the two of you have already handled most of your property/debt division on your own.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">