• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

putting house in ex's name

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

RPHUDDLE

What is the name of your state?Texas

I will be getting divorced and our home is in both of our names. How do I go about getting the mortgage in his name?

Thanks

seniorjudge

RPHUDDLE said:
What is the name of your state?Texas

I will be getting divorced and our home is in both of our names. How do I go about getting the mortgage in his name?

Thanks
He will have to refinance the loan after you deed him the place and get your share.

LdiJ

seniorjudge said:
He will have to refinance the loan after you deed him the place and get your share.
She should never file a quit claim deed until she is absolutely sure that he name is off the mortgage..The best place to do that is at the closing of his refinance where she is being handed a check for her share of the equity.

seniorjudge

LdiJ said:
She should never file a quit claim deed until she is absolutely sure that he name is off the mortgage..The best place to do that is at the closing of his refinance where she is being handed a check for her share of the equity.
He won't be able to refinance until her name is off the place; but you are correct in that she must do everything possible to protect herself.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">