• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Qdro

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

rfycomflorida

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Florida

My wife and I are filing for divorce. We are doing it online. This is something I didn't want, filing online divorce. So nothing is quite so evident. But she is hard headed. We closed out my 401K and divided the money in December. My question is this. Can a QDRO be filed and keep us form having to pay the 10% penalty? If so, how much would the legal fees be for an attorney to do this?

Thanks in advance.What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)?

Ohiogal

Queen Bee

My wife and I are filing for divorce. We are doing it online. This is something I didn't want, filing online divorce. So nothing is quite so evident. But she is hard headed. We closed out my 401K and divided the money in December. My question is this. Can a QDRO be filed and keep us form having to pay the 10% penalty? If so, how much would the legal fees be for an attorney to do this?

A QDRO will DO NO GOOD since you already cashed out the 401k.

nextwife

A 401K should never be cashed in unless there is an EXTREME emergancy that positively, absolutely cannot be dealt with any other way. A mere split of assets should not require a cashing in of 401ks. People need to consider 401k funds as untouchable until retirement, not even think of them as an asset to tap.

mistoffolees

As you were told, a QDRO can't help.

Check on the IRS rules. If you have the money to put all the money back into a new IRA (the full amount BEFORE the penalty and taxes were assessed), then there may be a way to recover the penalty you paid on your taxes.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">