• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

QDRO and Medical Expenses

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

mickapoo

I am located in FL.

My ex-husband, according to the settlement statement, is required to pay half of the QDRO. I already paid for it about 6 weeks ago, not realizing what the settlement statement had said. If I ask him now to pay for half, as this is what is stated in the judgment, do I have any recourse if he refuses?

We're going to court so I can try and modify the judgment. Already went to mediation. Should I bring up the QDRO then, or will the judge not be willing to entertain that topic? Since I already paid for it, would I need to go through small claims? Or because it's in the judgment is this contempt of court?

Also, I'd like to modify the settlement statement to state that we are each responsible for 50% of the medical expenses of our daughter. I paid about $700 when she was hospitalized about 8 months ago. Through the court system, do you think I would be able to get my ex to pay for half of these coinsurance expenses? Or am I at fault because I did not ask him to, and I went ahead and paid them myself? Again, should the fact that I paid this $700 be brought up with the judge when we are there for the modification of settlement statement, or should I go another way about it?

Thank you.

Ohiogal

Queen Bee
She is 2 1/2. There is no mention of medical expenses whatsoever on the current order.
Then he doesn't have to pay ANY of the current medical expenses. He doens't have to pay anything UNTIL a court order requires him and they won't go backwards.

mickapoo

Then he doesn't have to pay ANY of the current medical expenses. He doens't have to pay anything UNTIL a court order requires him and they won't go backwards.
Is it because I am the custodial parent that I should pay 100%?

Do you think a judge would agree that adding the stipulation of sharing medical expenses 50/50 is reasonable being his income is more than 4 times what mine is? My ex did state verbally that he would pay half, but this was about 6 months ago, and since then, he has refused.

Also, what about the QDRO? It is stated in the judgment that he pay for half, but he said he will not pay it and that he doesn't care what the judgment says. Do I have any recourse for that?

Thank you.

Ohiogal

Queen Bee
Is it because I am the custodial parent that I should pay 100%?

Do you think a judge would agree that adding the stipulation of sharing medical expenses 50/50 is reasonable being his income is more than 4 times what mine is? My ex did state verbally that he would pay half, but this was about 6 months ago, and since then, he has refused.

Also, what about the QDRO? It is stated in the judgment that he pay for half, but he said he will not pay it and that he doesn't care what the judgment says. Do I have any recourse for that?

Thank you.
I am sorry. YOu accused me of being rude in your other thread. I don't think I am continue answering except to say that you pay 100% because the court order does not make him pay anything but child support.

ETA: I will add this -- How much does he earn? If you actually got a job OUTSIDE the home, would you earn more?

Last edited:

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">