• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Qdro in Pro se divorce

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

melpears

What is the name of your state? New Mexico

My ex husband and I split things pretty amicably, but he wants me to find a way to do a qdro without paying big bucks to an attorney. I have looked at the forms for other states, (cannot find samples for NM) and it looks pretty straight forward. An attorney friend, not knowledgeable about qdros, but very experienced otherwise, says to put together a statement based upon the Wisconsin sample, inserting appropriate data, and run it past our judge. She will probably sign, then I could send it to Mutual Fund Co where My ex has his IRA,which is what we are splitting. How does this sound?

LdiJ

My ex husband and I split things pretty amicably, but he wants me to find a way to do a qdro without paying big bucks to an attorney. I have looked at the forms for other states, (cannot find samples for NM) and it looks pretty straight forward. An attorney friend, not knowledgeable about qdros, but very experienced otherwise, says to put together a statement based upon the Wisconsin sample, inserting appropriate data, and run it past our judge. She will probably sign, then I could send it to Mutual Fund Co where My ex has his IRA,which is what we are splitting. How does this sound?
That sounds like a workable plan. I know of many people who have successfully accomplished something similar. However, if you and your ex are in agreement, and all that needs to be done is a QDRO, then "big bucks" may not be involved in having an attorney draw it up.

Bali Hai

Sounds like your ex-husband is an easy mark.

You shouldn't get jack from his retirement without a dog fight and costing you.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">