+ Reply to Thread
    melpears is offline Junior Member

Qdro in Pro se divorce

What is the name of your state? New Mexico

My ex husband and I split things pretty amicably, but he wants me to find a way to do a qdro without paying big bucks to an attorney. I have looked at the forms for other states, (cannot find samples for NM) and it looks pretty straight forward. An attorney friend, not knowledgeable about qdros, but very experienced otherwise, says to put together a statement based upon the Wisconsin sample, inserting appropriate data, and run it past our judge. She will probably sign, then I could send it to Mutual Fund Co where My ex has his IRA,which is what we are splitting. How does this sound?
    LdiJ is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by melpears View Post

My ex husband and I split things pretty amicably, but he wants me to find a way to do a qdro without paying big bucks to an attorney. I have looked at the forms for other states, (cannot find samples for NM) and it looks pretty straight forward. An attorney friend, not knowledgeable about qdros, but very experienced otherwise, says to put together a statement based upon the Wisconsin sample, inserting appropriate data, and run it past our judge. She will probably sign, then I could send it to Mutual Fund Co where My ex has his IRA,which is what we are splitting. How does this sound?
    That sounds like a workable plan. I know of many people who have successfully accomplished something similar. However, if you and your ex are in agreement, and all that needs to be done is a QDRO, then "big bucks" may not be involved in having an attorney draw it up.
    Bali Hai is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by melpears View Post

Sounds like your ex-husband is an easy mark.

You shouldn't get jack from his retirement without a dog fight and costing you.
    ljt_tech is offline Junior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Bali Hai View Post
    Sounds like your ex-husband is an easy mark.

You shouldn't get jack from his retirement without a dog fight and costing you.
    Will you be my attorney Bali Hai?