• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Quadro

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

ahaas

What is the name of your state? Colorado

My divorce was final in 2004, in the divorce I was awarded half of his retirment. I have not proceeded with this any futher, as it an expensive process. Is there a statue of limitations on this, have I lost out on half of his retirment because I could not afford to move forward?

wileybunch

I do not believe there is a statute of limitations to have QDRO drawn up that reflects the court's order, but that is for protection of both parties. Whose retirement plan is it? Check with the benefits dept of the employer. You may be able to register as a party pending the QDRO being finalized. And, they may even have a model QDRO plan that you can just fill in the blank and follow the rest of the steps to get the QDRO legally filed.

Bali Hai

What is the name of your state? Colorado

My divorce was final in 2004, in the divorce I was awarded half of his retirment. I have not proceeded with this any futher, as it an expensive process. Is there a statue of limitations on this, have I lost out on half of his retirment because I could not afford to move forward?
If you are the Plaintiff in the divorce action, it is USUALLY YOUR RESPONSIBILITY to draft the QDRO and submitt to opposing counsel for correctness. This SHOULD be spelled out in your divorce decree. After presenting to the defendant for correctness, the QDRO goes to the judge for signature.

If you don't have the funds to get this done, cry me a river!!!

ahaas

Thanks, great advise I will look into it.:)

I do not believe there is a statute of limitations to have QDRO drawn up that reflects the court's order, but that is for protection of both parties. Whose retirement plan is it? Check with the benefits dept of the employer. You may be able to register as a party pending the QDRO being finalized. And, they may even have a model QDRO plan that you can just fill in the blank and follow the rest of the steps to get the QDRO legally filed.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">