• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Question

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

April470

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Oregon
In the state of Orgon if just beginning proceedings for divorce (not yet filed) and my father were to pass away and I were to inherit land and some monies would my spouse be able to sue me for part of the property/monies?

LdiJ

Don't start new threads for new questions about the same divorce. Just add your question to your existing thread.

mistoffolees

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Oregon
In the state of Orgon if just beginning proceedings for divorce (not yet filed) and my father were to pass away and I were to inherit land and some monies would my spouse be able to sue me for part of the property/monies?
Depends on whether you're smart or not.

If you're smart, you'll keep the inheritance separate - in which case it is your own personal property.

If you're not smart, you'll put the inheritance into your joint accounts (or otherwise mingle the inheritance with community property) and then it may become marital - and you might have to split it with him.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">