• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Question

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

mshely69

I live in Ohio and am married.very unhappy and want to leave.the car is in his name would i get in trouble if i take car when i leave with it then file for Divorce?What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)?

Ohiogal

Queen Bee
I live in Ohio and am married.very unhappy and want to leave.the car is in his name would i get in trouble if i take car when i leave with it then file for Divorce?What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)?
take it where? Does he have a car? When was the car bought? How long you been married? More details.

mshely69

been married 3 years..bought car after married ,,he has a car too both are in his name..i was going to take it and stay with a friend then when i get there to friends house work on filing for divorce

LdiJ

been married 3 years..bought car after married ,,he has a car too both are in his name..i was going to take it and stay with a friend then when i get there to friends house work on filing for divorce
In that case, you can take the car. Its marital property and you would each end up with a car in the divorce.

nextwife

In that case, you can take the car. Its marital property and you would each end up with a car in the divorce.
I wouldn't say that. n You don't know the source of funds used to buy it.

What if he used non-comingled PREMARITAL funds to buy the car? Just converted one form of premarital asset into another? It still would not automatically be a marital asset.

LdiJ

I wouldn't say that. n You don't know the source of funds used to buy it.

What if he used non-comingled PREMARITAL funds to buy the car? Just converted one form of premarital asset into another? It still would not automatically be a marital asset.
Well, that is technically possible, but I have yet to see any divorce, (unless there was only one car to start with) where both spouses didn't walk away with a vehicle.

nextwife

Well, that is technically possible, but I have yet to see any divorce, (unless there was only one car to start with) where both spouses didn't walk away with a vehicle.
Since we have no idea what the source of funds may be, I don't think we should unilaterally declare it no problem if she takes a car titled to him. One is not automatically entitled to a car simply because they were married.

Example: What if he used a non comingled inheritance? Why would she have a right to drive off with his inheritance?

They are potentially entitled to share any marital vehicles.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">