• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

A question

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)?GA

So long story short, the H and I have decided it may be best to divorce. At the moment I am a stay at home mom, have been for 5 years. He works and has a great job. At the moment, we are living under the same roof but seperate. He is telling me he is not going to give me any money for anything for myself. He will pay for our son but not for me. He is telling me to pay him rent/utilities/etc. We have not even filed, we just decided this stuff last week. I am frantically searching for a job, but I just want to know my rights with these kinds of things.He says he will quit his job and let everything get cut off rather than provide for me.

mistoffolees

So long story short, the H and I have decided it may be best to divorce. At the moment I am a stay at home mom, have been for 5 years. He works and has a great job. At the moment, we are living under the same roof but seperate. He is telling me he is not going to give me any money for anything for myself. He will pay for our son but not for me. He is telling me to pay him rent/utilities/etc. We have not even filed, we just decided this stuff last week. I am frantically searching for a job, but I just want to know my rights with these kinds of things.He says he will quit his job and let everything get cut off rather than provide for me.
You need to file for divorce and temporary support (or, if he has already filed for divorce, you need to ask for temporary support).

You didn't say how long you were married. That will be the major factor in determining whether you get long term spousal support, but if you've been a stay at home mom, you will almost certainly get temporary support. You are obviously not going to have to pay HIM anything. You will need to find that job ASAP because you'll need to be responsible for your own expenses, even if you get temporary support.

He can quit his job if he likes, but that will not free him from the obligation to pay whatever the judge orders him to pay. So if the judge orders temporary support, he won't get out of it by quitting his job. Not to mention, of course, that it would be incredibly stupid for him to do that since he'd be hurting himself at least as much as he hurts you.

If he's going to be adversarial, you really need an attorney. Call some attorneys to discuss your options. If there are enough marital assets or if your husband makes enough money, an attorney can petition the court to be paid from marital assets or for the husband to pay their expense. Or, some will work out a payment plan. Or see if there's a legal aid in your area.

Just Blue

You can no longer afford to be a SAHM...Get a job.

blue meanie lol i gathered that, hence, the frantically searching for a job part up there.thanks, we have been married for 6 years.

mistoffolees

we have been married for 6 years.
Then you will not receive spousal support after the divorce is finalized. You may receive support while the divorce is pending if you file a motion requesting it. The amount will, of course, depend on how much he is making, among other things.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">