• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

A Question about Cost

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

legalparent

What is the name of your state?NJ

My ex and I separated 6 months ago and we have a "Separation Agreement." We are now renegociating parenting time and child support payments. I have a feeling we may end up in court (which we avoided 6 months ago)

Can someone give me a rough idea regarding what I would need to pay for court costs / psychological testing if we end up in court?

Also, what is entailed in the psychological testing that takes place? If my ex is with a new partner who spends a lot of time with the kids and plans to move in, does she need to be tested? How about my sister, who I currently live with? And my ex's mother, who takes care of the girls while we're at work? What will they put my 3 yr old and 5yr old daughters through?

Any input is great. Thank you!

M

MominMass

The court might appoint a GAL to do the job. They can cost about forty bucks or more an hour. Generally the psych tests are for the parents only.
Female GALs generally lean more favorably towards mothers. All GALs are generally very sensitive with children, especially small ones like yours. If you are the non-custodial father in the case, I would attempt to avoid the whole process and try to resolve the matter with the X, or at least without the wasted time and expense of a psych evaluation. What has changed since your amicable agreement six months ago?

legalparent

thanks for your reply.

Question: what is a GAL?

The change is that my ex (who had an affair) has the new lover spending A LOT of time with my kids, sometimes caring for them while my ex is out. My kids have told me of plans to have the new lover move in. Currently, I am not the parent of primary residence (although we have joint custody) and would like to have the kids overnight 50% of the time, given the anticipated change in the living situation.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">