• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

question about dismissal

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

edma

Va.
My ex and I had a separation of agreetment for over a year in Va, but recently I applyed for a divorce dismissal. the court sent me my copy back with no judge signature, it only had a stamp saying: FILED on Sept. 4 at 4:30pm.
Does this mean that the divorce dismissal is done even though there is no judge signature and just a stamp saying filed?

LdiJ

Va.
My ex and I had a separation of agreetment for over a year in Va, but recently I applyed for a divorce dismissal. the court sent me my copy back with no judge signature, it only had a stamp saying: FILED on Sept. 4 at 4:30pm.
Does this mean that the divorce dismissal is done even though there is no judge signature and just a stamp saying filed?
No, that means it has just been filed.

LdiJ

va.
So what will happen next? why do you think the judge didn't sign?
I don't think that the judge "didn't sign". I don't think that it has gotten to the judge yet. Its normal for you to receive a copy of the officially "filed" document.

edma

VA.
do you know how much longer would it take? I only sent one self-stamped envolope and one copy-the very one that I got back on sat. Are they going to send another copy?

LdiJ

VA.
do you know how much longer would it take? I only sent one self-stamped envolope and one copy-the very one that I got back on sat. Are they going to send another copy?
I would recommend that you talk to the court clerk. Time frames can vary dramatically from county to county, and its even possible that your judge will require a hearing to take place.

edma

what will be the reasons why a judge will request a hearing?
My ex and I no longer live in Va. Do you think the judge will consider this?

LdiJ

Usually orders are not FILED unless the judge has signed them. So my question for OP is this is a court order or just the motion?
I am pretty sure that she means the "motion"....if it was the order, it would have the judge's signature.

edma

I sent an order of dismissal, but only got the stamp.
also do you know if I have to show up if I no longer live in Va?
what will be reasons for a hearing?

Ohiogal

Queen Bee
If there is a hearing you need to attend. If not you lose.

Ohiogal

Queen Bee
I am pretty sure that she means the "motion"....if it was the order, it would have the judge's signature.
Many times though a judge only signs one copy so if you have five copies to file, the original has the judge's sig but the others may not.

Golfball

If it's an order, the judge signs it. But for there to be an order, there has to be a motion (from some party or the Court) and/or a hearing first.

You filed a motion, not an order.

Judges (or other authorities, as statute, rules of procedure, and circumstance may dictate) file orders and motions, parties file motions.

Depending on what local rules of procedure state, one party or the other may draft the order for review by the other party, which is then signed by the judge, but that isn't filed until the judge signs it.

If you filed the motion in the court, it is advised to have representation in court, either in person or through counsel.

Anything from required by rules of procedure to the judge wants to see a hearing. As you have been advised upthread, it would be a good idea to talk with the court clerk. Even better would be your attorney.

Golfball

Many times though a judge only signs one copy so if you have five copies to file, the original has the judge's sig but the others may not.
This may be different in VA, but even on the copies of court orders I've gotten, there is still something indicating that the judge signed the original (even if it's just a stamp stating "Original Signed by John Doe Judge")

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">