• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Question About Divorce

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Alska

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Cali

Hi, I have a question about getting a divorce.

I left my husband about 8 or 9 years ago, we are still married ... I tried getting a divorce when I left with legal aide. But because him and his laywer wasn't doing their part, legal aide dropped it. I had moved out of state since then, and I don't know where he is living. I haven't had any contact with him 7 or 8 years. We have one daughter together.

How do I go about getting a divorce when I have no idea where he is at? Can I apply from the state I'm in or does it have to be the state we were married in?

Also since there is a child .. I believe he is in the state we got married, would they make me move back so he could visit with his child? I know he doesn't want anything to do with her, but he will act like it to make himself look good (and to hurt me).

EDIT: I was told he got remarried. I'm not sure how that couldd happen when we are still married. Unless he got the divorce and I don't know about it. Is there a way to find out?

Thank you for any help.

Last edited:

LdiJ

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Cali

Hi, I have a question about getting a divorce.

I left my husband about 8 or 9 years ago, we are still married ... I tried getting a divorce when I left with legal aide. But because him and his laywer wasn't doing their part, legal aide dropped it. I had moved out of state since then, and I don't know where he is living. I haven't had any contact with him 7 or 8 years. We have one daughter together.

How do I go about getting a divorce when I have no idea where he is at? Can I apply from the state I'm in or does it have to be the state we were married in?

Also since there is a child .. I believe he is in the state we got married, would they make me move back so he could visit with his child? I know he doesn't want anything to do with her, but he will act like it to make himself look good (and to hurt me).

EDIT: I was told he got remarried. I'm not sure how that couldd happen when we are still married. Unless he got the divorce and I don't know about it. Is there a way to find out?

Thank you for any help.
After all this time, no, a court cannot and will not make you move back to the state he is living in. However a court could and would order visitation rights for him.

You could try to find him and ask him if he got a divorce or not. Or, you could check with the most likely courthouses based on where you think he has been living.

Alska

thank you. Is there any public records online I could look up? I checked, but they all want money. I would pay, but i can't trust they are real with real information.

mistoffolees

thank you. Is there any public records online I could look up? I checked, but they all want money. I would pay, but i can't trust they are real with real information.
I'm not aware of anywhere you can check the entire country.

If you have an idea where he has been living, I would contact the court clerk in that county to see what the process is for searching to see if he got divorced. There will probably be a fee (at least to get copies of the documents - which you should do), but it should be modest.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">