• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Question about having someone else pay attorney fees

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

DivorcingSlowly

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Tx

I'm in the middle of a divorce and have an attorney, whom my parents are paying, as I can't afford to pay her fees myself.

I've noticed that my attorney tends to call my parents first and ask what they want done, rather than speaking to me. I am 35-years-old, so there's no question that I am an adult, capable of making my own decisions.

So I'm wondering despite the fact that I am the one getting divorced, since my parents are paying her, does that make her my parents attorney? Sometimes what my parents want and what I want are not in agreement. Do I have any right to confidentiality between my lawyer and myself that excludes my parents, even though they are paying the bill?

LdiJ

I'm in the middle of a divorce and have an attorney, whom my parents are paying, as I can't afford to pay her fees myself.

I've noticed that my attorney tends to call my parents first and ask what they want done, rather than speaking to me. I am 35-years-old, so there's no question that I am an adult, capable of making my own decisions.

So I'm wondering despite the fact that I am the one getting divorced, since my parents are paying her, does that make her my parents attorney? Sometimes what my parents want and what I want are not in agreement. Do I have any right to confidentiality between my lawyer and myself that excludes my parents, even though they are paying the bill?
Yes, you do. The attorney is representing YOU, not your parents. However, if you make that point to the attorney, and then the attorney stops talking to them, are they going to get mad and refuse to continue helping you with the fees?

Zigner

Senior Member, Non-Attorney

Have you asked your attorney to communicate only with you?

DivorcingSlowly

Thank you. I don't think my parents will stop paying, though I imagine they'll be frustrated when our opinions differ.

I have not asked my attorney to only speak to me; I wasn't sure if I was allowed to do so since my parents are footing the bill. But I'll ask today. I think this will help everything! Thanks so much.

Zigner

Senior Member, Non-Attorney
Thank you. I don't think my parents will stop paying, though I imagine they'll be frustrated when our opinions differ.

I have not asked my attorney to only speak to me; I wasn't sure if I was allowed to do so since my parents are footing the bill. But I'll ask today. I think this will help everything! Thanks so much.
If you direct the attorney to speak only with you, he is ethically obligated to oblige. As was said previously, YOU are the client, regardless of who is actually paying the bill.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">