• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

question about legal separation and property

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

JoannaS

What is the name of your state?VA

i am very unclear as to what legal separation consists of. does it protect either party in any way? can it keep the other person from coming in your property? if home is in my name and was purchased before marriage does he have the right to come into my house. i had the locks changed when he left and i feel he has gotten a key made probably by having a locksmith come to the house and make a key because he has my address on his license. help?? :confused:

LdiJ

JoannaS said:
What is the name of your state?VA

i am very unclear as to what legal separation consists of. does it protect either party in any way? can it keep the other person from coming in your property? if home is in my name and was purchased before marriage does he have the right to come into my house. i had the locks changed when he left and i feel he has gotten a key made probably by having a locksmith come to the house and make a key because he has my address on his license. help?? :confused:
If you have a legal separation and the home is in your name only, then he shouldn't have access to your property.

Change the locks again if you are concerned....or even get an electronic lock that requires a passcode.....or a security system that requires a passcode. Maybe even ask your neighbors to be on the watch for any locksmith truck at your home.

JoannaS

property and separation

VA

my understanding is there is no such thing as a "legal separation in VA" there is something called a partial divorce bed and broad which does not seem to protect myself through the next year. child support has already been decided through mediation. the true problem is he is an alcoholic that one day is agreeable and the next day very disagreeable. the changing of the locks is great but that will become costly and annoying throughout the next year. the neighbors have looked out and are the ones that notified me of my front door being left wide open this weekend as i was working a night shift at the hospital. just feel like i am hung out to dry for the next year until a divorce can be final. frustrating!!!! i do appreciate the advice and any more that is sent my way. thanks

LdiJ

JoannaS said:
VA

my understanding is there is no such thing as a "legal separation in VA" there is something called a partial divorce bed and broad which does not seem to protect myself through the next year. child support has already been decided through mediation. the true problem is he is an alcoholic that one day is agreeable and the next day very disagreeable. the changing of the locks is great but that will become costly and annoying throughout the next year. the neighbors have looked out and are the ones that notified me of my front door being left wide open this weekend as i was working a night shift at the hospital. just feel like i am hung out to dry for the next year until a divorce can be final. frustrating!!!! i do appreciate the advice and any more that is sent my way. thanks
Get a security system. Shop around for the best deal. They can be as little as 40.00 a month....but be prepared to be stuck with a three year contract.

BelizeBreeze

In Virginia, there is no such thing as a “legal separation” where the court finds you legally separated and directs your conduct. Some states do have legal separations and the topic is frequently seen on television, but not in Virginia. Virginia law allows contracts between husband and wife, which are called separation agreements.

These agreements are legally binding on the parties and enforced in court like other contracts. In the separation agreement you and your spouse resolve the legal issues created by your marriage. The parties must voluntarily agree to the terms and conditions in the agreement and sign the agreement. With the exception of provisions pertaining to children, once signed by the parties the agreement cannot be changed or modified without the mutual consent of the parties.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">