• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

question about medical insurance

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

alexis2002

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Virginia
Hello, me and my husband are seperated and i am on his medical insurance policy through his job he has stated that he will agree for me to stay on his insurance for one year but i have to pay for my share of the insurance policy i was wondering if he was allowed to make me pay for it or if he is required to keep me on the insurance policy for one year

nextwife

Also, will his employer ALLOW you to stay on his plan once you are an ex spouse, other than COBRA? Has the availability been verified?

mistoffolees

He is allowed to ask you to pay for it. You are allowed to agree or not.
And it's not really an unreasonable request.

The bigger question is Nextwife's. Many insurers do NOT allow it (other than COBRA). If you get divorced and don't tell the insurance company that you're divorced in order to stay on the policy, you could be facing insurance fraud charges. Or, at the very least, you could find that they'd refuse to pay any claims once they find out.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">