• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Question about qualifying for fee waiver for dissolution filing : California

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

calikat

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? CA

Hi all.. I filed my response to dissolution (pro per) along with a fee waiver request, thinking it would be cut and dry because I receive MediCal benefits (for my minor son), but I instead I received an order for a court date requiring me to bring my tax returns and pay stubs to the judge. Why does the fee waiver request indicate that receiving MediCal benefits is one way to qualify, when that doesn't seem to be the case - it looks like I need to qualify in TWO ways (benefits based and income based?). Just wondering! - Now I've got to take another half day off work to do this. :(
thanks!

Zigner

Senior Member, Non-Attorney
What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? CA

Hi all.. I filed my response to dissolution (pro per) along with a fee waiver request, thinking it would be cut and dry because I receive MediCal benefits (for my minor son), but I instead I received an order for a court date requiring me to bring my tax returns and pay stubs to the judge. Why does the fee waiver request indicate that receiving MediCal benefits is one way to qualify, when that doesn't seem to be the case - it looks like I need to qualify in TWO ways (benefits based and income based?). Just wondering! - Now I've got to take another half day off work to do this. :(
thanks!
Are YOU receiving the MediCal benefits, or is your son?

calikat

Hi, the MediCal case is in my name and based on my income for qualifying , but the actual benefits are only for my son because I get health insurance through my job. So I guess that why I need to show more proof? I was hoping I wouldn't need to go to court since the approval for benefits has my name on it.

Silverplum

Hi, the MediCal case is in my name and based on my income for qualifying , but the actual benefits are only for my son because I get health insurance through my job. So I guess that why I need to show more proof? I was hoping I wouldn't need to go to court since the approval for benefits has my name on it.
Why do you have insurance but your son is on state aid?

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">