• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Question About TN Marriage/Divorce Laws...

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Status
Not open for further replies.

XxRaVeNxX

What is the name of your state? Tennessee

Yes, I have a Question. I am currently married in the state of Tennessee. Currently going through the divorce process {legally/physically separated also}, which as you know may take at least two months. Yet, was wondering is it possible to get married to someone else during this time frame to someone else in a different state, for example, Georgia. I mean what is the worst that can happen, if/when I get caught. I mean that County Clerk wouldn't have the Georgia Marriage on File, as it is a different state, correct? So, little to nothing would happen other than an annulment, if the 'new' wife or I brought it up, as they would not be actively looking for another marriage in my name, correct?

Thanks in Advance

Last edited:

LdiJ

XxRaVeNxX said:

Yes, I have a Question. I am currently married in the state of Tennessee. Currently going through the divorce process {legally/physically separated also}, which as you know may take at least two months. Yet, was wondering is it possible to get married to someone else during this time frame to someone else in a different state, for example, Georgia. I mean what is the worst that can happen, if/when I get caught. I mean that County Clerk wouldn't have the Georgia Marriage on File, as it is a different state, correct? So, little to nothing would happen other than an annulment, if the 'new' wife or I brought it up, as they would not be actively looking for another marriage in my name, correct?

Thanks in Advance
It would be a darned stupid thing to do. Bigamy is a criminal offense.

LdiJ

XxRaVeNxX said:
For Those Trying to "Help", Bigamy in Tennessee is a Class A Misdemeanor..
....and a class a misdemeanor can still land you in jail. Is is worth it? There is no concieveable reason why someone can't wait for a divorce to be final before re-marrying.

rmet4nzkx

LdiJ said:
....and a class a misdemeanor can still land you in jail. Is is worth it? There is no concieveable reason why someone can't wait for a divorce to be final before re-marrying.
Unless they are already lying to their next wife and don't expect to get caught ;)

Zephyr

rmet4nzkx said:
Unless they are already lying to their next wife and don't expect to get caught ;)

good point, new wife may not know about old wife, when he popped the question...she set a date.....apparently one not far enough into the future :rolleyes:

AHA

XxRaVeNxX said:

Thanks in Advance
Getting married within 2 months after divorcing from the ex is not exactly a smart thing to do. Take some time and figure out why you failed the first marriage, and try to learn something from the mistakes made instead of possibly continuing the bad circle.

Bali Hai

AHA said:
Getting married within 2 months after divorcing from the ex is not exactly a smart thing to do. Take some time and figure out why you failed the first marriage, and try to learn something from the mistakes made instead of possibly continuing the bad circle.
You're jumping to conclusions.

I'm sure he was a model husband and met every expectation of married life.

It's usually the wife who fails.

Rushia

Bali Hai said:

So are you, lets not turn this into a gender thing.

LdiJ

Bali Hai said:

Gag me with a spoon....Half of the time I have respect for you...but when you utter total absurdities...like that one...I just want to throw my hands up in the air. You would be stomping up and down having a hissy fit if anyone else on these boards was stupid enough to state or even suggest.. that it is ususally the husband that fails.....yet you actually believe that its usually the wife....

Dude, you have lost all perspective....I understand that your situation is difficult...but get REAL.

Do you want to help people? Or do you want a personal "vent" site? If you want to help people then its time to get over yourself and realize that both men and women can be jerks.....and that the system can fail both sides.

If you just want to vent...then I am sure that many people here can refer you to sites where you can vent all you like.

Touché

"Originally Posted by Bali Hai

It's usually the wife who fails."
Ummmmmm everyone I think that Bali Hai was trying to be sarcastic ;)

Bali Hai

LdiJ said:
Gag me with a spoon....Half of the time I have respect for you...but when you utter total absurdities...like that one...I just want to throw my hands up in the air. You would be stomping up and down having a hissy fit if anyone else on these boards was stupid enough to state or even suggest.. that it is ususally the husband that fails.....yet you actually believe that its usually the wife....

Dude, you have lost all perspective....I understand that your situation is difficult...but get REAL.

Do you want to help people? Or do you want a personal "vent" site? If you want to help people then its time to get over yourself and realize that both men and women can be jerks.....and that the system can fail both sides.

If you just want to vent...then I am sure that many people here can refer you to sites where you can vent all you like.

Talk about a "hissy fit". Calm down mom. I'll try to do better.

AHA

Bali Hai said:

I didn't specify the sex of the OP (unlike you), because it matters zero if OP or the husband or the wife. Fact is, he/she WAS a spouse and therefore is as much at fault as the other to a failed marriage and any adult that fails a marriage should have the brains to reflect on what he/she did or didn't do that helped crash the marriage. Getting hitched again before the ink on the divorce decree is even dry is beyond stupid. Marriage isn't a f-ing playdate that you breeze in and out of at your leisure. Not if you are a mature, intelligent adult anyway, but that's each and every persons choice to be or not to be. Some people want to be pathetic and are free to be that. God help the suckers that cross their desperate path.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">