• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Question after divorce is final - can I sue for not agreeing to pay off debt?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

AngelMel

My divorce in TX - Dallas County - was final as of February 2004. We agreed out of court and in the petition that we would both pay off any debt incurred during the marriage. We also agreed to divide our posessions. Since that time, my ex-husband has not made arrangements to pay his half of the debt. As well, I have asked repeatedly for him to make arrangements to give back certain items that either I or my family purchased and he has refused this request. Is there any legal action I can take against him to a) make him pay for his half of the debt and b) to force him to give me the items that are rightfully mine?

I am currently living in California, he remains in Texas. Any assistance is greatly appreciated!

S

seniorjudge

AngelMel said:
My divorce in TX - Dallas County - was final as of February 2004. We agreed out of court and in the petition that we would both pay off any debt incurred during the marriage. We also agreed to divide our posessions. Since that time, my ex-husband has not made arrangements to pay his half of the debt. As well, I have asked repeatedly for him to make arrangements to give back certain items that either I or my family purchased and he has refused this request. Is there any legal action I can take against him to a) make him pay for his half of the debt and b) to force him to give me the items that are rightfully mine?

I am currently living in California, he remains in Texas. Any assistance is greatly appreciated!
In the judgment in the lawsuit, did you have a list of joint bills that would be paid off?

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">