• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

question on equity in property, stocks?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

surfer1962

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Ohio

My question deals with real estate and common stock. I had $20,000 into my first house prior to marriage with the documentation to prove this. Also, I bought common stock in a few companies prior to marriage. Is my wife entitled to half of this?

Also, I put her through school to get certified to teach and for her master's degree. Am I entitled to some of her increased earnings because of this. Please let me know.

Thanks.

mistoffolees

My question deals with real estate and common stock. I had $20,000 into my first house prior to marriage with the documentation to prove this. Also, I bought common stock in a few companies prior to marriage. Is my wife entitled to half of this?

Also, I put her through school to get certified to teach and for her master's degree. Am I entitled to some of her increased earnings because of this. Please let me know.

Thanks.
Any assets you owned at the time of the marriage remain your separate assets as long as you never mingled them. For the house. you will calculate the total equity today, subtract $20 K (which you keep) and split the rest.

As for education it is one of the factors considered in spousal support, but only one of a large number of factors:
Ohio Spousal Support (Alimony) FAQ's — DivorceNet

If you are making more money than her, you're not likely to get spousal support even if you did pay for her education. If conditions are such that you would be entitled to spousal support, then the amount you paid for her education MIGHT affect it.

LdiJ

Thanks.
You really need a consult with a local attorney. Your situation isn't simple.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">