• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Question on polygamy

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

What is the name of your state? GA -

Trying to find info for a friend in NC. (her husband is my ex-husband)

I married my ex in January of 1993. We separated in August '94 (no legal separation documents however) and divorce was final in on October 13, 1995.

I got a call from a girl recently, asking about my marriage and divorce. She married my ex in 1995, BEFORE our divorce. Obviously that marriage would not be valid.

HOWEVER, my ex married someone else in 1996. Would the third marriage be legal? (At the time of the 3rd marriage, wife #2 had not done anything to nullify the marriage)

I AM ALWAYS LIABLE

My response:

This has nothing to do with "polygamy". But, this has everything to do with "Bigamy" - - which is a crime in every State. His marriages to wife numbers 2 and 3 are void. He's also subject to criminal prosecution.

However, wives 2 and 3 still need to file for an annulment or divorce, using the grounds of Bigamy, in order to have their marriages "officially" voided. Remember, the State still considers them married because there's a Marriage Certificate for each on file with the State. Until the marriages are officially voided, the State will still consider those women married.

IAAL

Last edited:
What does wife #3 need to do? Can she go about life as if she were never married, or would she need to get an attorney and file something? (She wants a divorce) she has not been with him in several years.

Thank you IAAL. And I have one more question. This would be an uncontested divorce/annulment. Would the annulment be simpler and less expensive then filing for divorce? She was going to go to the courthouse to file for divorce, until this came up. Can she do that or would this require an attorney, or would you recommend it because of the circumstances?

Sorry, I guess that's two.

Just trying to get all the info I can before I talk to her.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">