• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Question re Credit Card Debt

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

bobbiesox

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? California
Yesterday my boyfriend received a credit card bill from Kohl's. It was addressed to his soon-to-be ex-wife (we are awaiting the Judgment) but was addressed to my house. We called the credit card company and told them and they said to tear up the bill and that they would send her the bill to her New York address. They told us that he was not on the account. When asked how I got the bill at my house, I was told that someone either called or filled out the change of address on the back of the bill. My question is this. Can she add his name to any of her accounts and/or open new accounts and tell them to issue him a card? I thought that once you filed for divorce you were protected from this sort of thing. Any advice would be appreciated. Thank you.

mistoffolees

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? California
Yesterday my boyfriend received a credit card bill from Kohl's. It was addressed to his soon-to-be ex-wife (we are awaiting the Judgment) but was addressed to my house. We called the credit card company and told them and they said to tear up the bill and that they would send her the bill to her New York address. They told us that he was not on the account. When asked how I got the bill at my house, I was told that someone either called or filled out the change of address on the back of the bill. My question is this. Can she add his name to any of her accounts and/or open new accounts and tell them to issue him a card? I thought that once you filed for divorce you were protected from this sort of thing. Any advice would be appreciated. Thank you.
Yes, once you file for divorce, you are protected. HOWEVER:

That doesn't mean you won't have hassles or that the other person won't try something. If they do, you can get it reversed, but it might take a lot of time and energy.

If she does it, you can go back to court and she'll get slapped down pretty good, but your bf is still going to have a lot of hassle.

I would suggest that he contact the credit card rating companies (Transunion, etc) to have a block put on his account. That will prevent any new accounts being opened. Also have them run a check to see if any accounts have already been opened in his name.

kimberlywrites

Yep, what MOL said.
My husband has been divorced three years. When we went to buy a house together recently, the bank credit check turned up an $18,000 American Express bill in his name. Yep, it was the ex. Fortunately it was no hassle to get it off of there, but it sure coulda been. Have your BF check his credit reports, like yesterday. And put the block on so nobody can open credit under his name or SSN.

LdiJ

I am going to add something here however, that is important, and has not been addressed.

It is majorly illegal to open mail addressed to someone else (even if its your stbx spouse). Its actually a felony. You should not have opened that bill. You should have simply marked it, "not at this address, return to sender" and put it back in the mail.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">