• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Question on refi

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

sgtpepper9999

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? NH

My wife and I am wrapping up our divorce. The mortgage is solely in my name however the deed is in both our names. She has 6 months to refi the home or I will be awarded the home.

Does the new mortgage have to be in her name? In other words....if her BF was able to secure a loan would that be acceptable? Her name would have to be on the new mortgage in order to stay on the deed, correct?

LdiJ

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? NH

My wife and I am wrapping up our divorce. The mortgage is solely in my name however the deed is in both our names. She has 6 months to refi the home or I will be awarded the home.

Does the new mortgage have to be in her name? In other words....if her BF was able to secure a loan would that be acceptable? Her name would have to be on the new mortgage in order to stay on the deed, correct?
As long as the mortgage is out of your name, why would you care if she has a joint mortgage holder?

Doreen

It is not really a refinance, since the original loan is not in her name. She will need a new loan to buyout your loan. Your name should be removed from the deed at that time.

Whether or not the requirement of buying you out within six months is that (1) she intends to continue to live there, or (2) that the new mortgage and deed also must be in her name depends upon the wording of the order and intent of the court.

LdiJ

Because I want to keep the home.

Then why did you agree to give her first shot at keeping the home? If she has six months to get the mortgage out of your name, it doesn't matter how she does that.

Oh yeah...you are the guy that wanted his ex held in contempt for painting a room....sigh.

Last edited:

sgtpepper9999

Then why did you agree to give her first shot at keeping the home? If she has six months to get the mortgage out of your name, it doesn't matter how she does that.

Oh yeah...you are the guy that wanted his ex held in contempt for painting a room....sigh.
I thought this was a forum to ask questions? I asked a question about contempt. I even said it was probably petty. It was a question.....sorry if it bothered you but I was curious the answer. Obviously, I didnt do anything with the painting of the room situation....I was just curious.

sandyclaus

I thought this was a forum to ask questions? I asked a question about contempt. I even said it was probably petty. It was a question.....sorry if it bothered you but I was curious the answer. Obviously, I didnt do anything with the painting of the room situation....I was just curious.
While this is a forum to ask questions, it is clearly apparent that you are looking for just about anything you can use to try to screw over your STBX. Kind of like throwing anything and everything at a wall (our forum) and hoping that something will stick.

Suffice to say that anything you ask at this point is going to be looked at as suspicious and only trying to further your agenda. Might I suggest a bit of personal counseling to get you over this? Works MUCH better than trying to exact revenge at every turn.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">