• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

question related to a credit card

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

wantinganend

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? IL
I ran a credit check after a divorce, and found a credit card in my ex's name only show up on my credit report. I contacted the credit company wanting to know why this card was on my credit report. The credit company responded that I was only listed as "permission to use the card", and would not be responsible for payments, only my ex would be the financial responsible party. I explained the situation, and asked my name be removed, due to the fact I never used the card, and did not have any in my possession. The credit company said only my ex could have me removed as permission to use, and that I was not authorized to have my name removed.

What can I do to get my name off a card as a "permission to use status"? The card is in my ex's name only, and I dont want to wait until this comes back to haunt me in the future. I would contact my ex, but he is not very cooperative, and there is no telling what he may do if I bring this matter to his attention.
Thanks.

LdiJ

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? IL
I ran a credit check after a divorce, and found a credit card in my ex's name only show up on my credit report. I contacted the credit company wanting to know why this card was on my credit report. The credit company responded that I was only listed as "permission to use the card", and would not be responsible for payments, only my ex would be the financial responsible party. I explained the situation, and asked my name be removed, due to the fact I never used the card, and did not have any in my possession. The credit company said only my ex could have me removed as permission to use, and that I was not authorized to have my name removed.

What can I do to get my name off a card as a "permission to use status"? The card is in my ex's name only, and I dont want to wait until this comes back to haunt me in the future. I would contact my ex, but he is not very cooperative, and there is no telling what he may do if I bring this matter to his attention.
Thanks.
I would recommend having an attorney try writing a strongly worded letter to the credit card company, threatening legal action if they do not thoroughly remove it from your credit report...with all three bureaus.

You can also dispute the item on your credit report with all three bureaus as well.

mistoffolees

I would recommend having an attorney try writing a strongly worded letter to the credit card company, threatening legal action if they do not thoroughly remove it from your credit report...with all three bureaus.

You can also dispute the item on your credit report with all three bureaus as well.
Before doing that, I would send a letter to the credit card company. While she does not have permission to access the account, if she has permission to use, that may be sufficient for them to remove her upon her request. If the free method doesn't work, she can always hire an attorney later.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">