• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

questions

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

gayle wiggins

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Tennessee
I have been married for about 31/2 years. I have reasons to believe that my husband is still married to another lady. I want to know what is the penalty for this in tennessee? Can he be held liable for my legal expenses? Also, I have a savings account in my name which I have had before we got married will he be entitle to any of it?What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)?What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)?

mistoffolees

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Tennessee
I have been married for about 31/2 years. I have reasons to believe that my husband is still married to another lady. I want to know what is the penalty for this in tennessee? Can he be held liable for my legal expenses? Also, I have a savings account in my name which I have had before we got married will he be entitle to any of it?What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)?What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)?

He would not be entitled to separate property. If you had a savings account before you were married and never added his name to it and never added money to it, then it would be separate property.

In Tennessee, bigamy is a Class A misdemeanor:
Fight Bigamy: Bigamy Laws: States R-W

If convicted, he could spend up to 11 months, 29 days in jail and pay a fine of $2,500.

I don't know for sure if he'd have to pay your legal expenses, but you would certainly be within your rights to ask. Many judges would award it, but other factors come into play (for example, if you had reason to believe he was already married when you married him, condonation would come into play and you might not get anything).

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">