• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

questions

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

gayle wiggins

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? tennessee
I have another question concerning my husband not being divorced from his other wife. Before we got married, he told me he was divorced. He said he was divorced while he was in prison. Now he is saying he thought he was divorced. Does this make a difference with the penalty of bigamy? Can I get an annullment?
My husband is also a registered sex offender and he is still using my address as his primary residence and another address as a secondary address. We have been seperated for about 5 weeks. Can I do any thing about this? I have no intention of getting back with him because of this marriage situation.

mistoffolees

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? tennessee
I have another question concerning my husband not being divorced from his other wife. Before we got married, he told me he was divorced. He said he was divorced while he was in prison. Now he is saying he thought he was divorced. Does this make a difference with the penalty of bigamy? Can I get an annullment?
My husband is also a registered sex offender and he is still using my address as his primary residence and another address as a secondary address. We have been seperated for about 5 weeks. Can I do any thing about this? I have no intention of getting back with him because of this marriage situation.
Please keep all of your questions in one thread.

If he was still married to someone else when he married you, then he commited bigamy. Whether the THOUGHT he was divorced is irrelevant. He was responsible to make sure.

If he committed bigamy, you can get an annulment on those grounds in most states, although it is not listed as a specific reason in Tennessee. You're probably better off getting a divorce, anyway, because it's less expensive. Annulments are rare in Tennessee from what I read.

I'm confused. You say you won't get back together with him because of his marriage situation, but you also say that you don't know if he's still married to someone else or not. Sounds to me like you don't want to be married, but want to blame it on his previous marriage. That's irresponsible on your part. If you don't want to be married, then get divorced. Don't try to blame it on something that you don't even know the facts about.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">