• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Questions and desparate

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

krissy_kronks

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? I am kristen and i am from ohio.

I am gonna give you a little background because it is completely necessary. I am trying to get a dissolution of marriage. I got married to my husband in november 2005 and we got separeated in late september 2008. We did not do any papaer work for the separation. I just moved to my mother's house. Here's the kicker, my husband is from another country and i petitioned for him to stay in this country. His residency should had followed down from his mother but unfortunately she did not get her citizenship until he was already 18. So, he was essentially an adult had to fend for himself. HE is having a request for his final interview to become a perminant resident and then a perminant citizen and they are asking for the paperwork. I just want to do everything the honest and legal way. DO we just write them a note saying we are separated and soon to be divorced. We both agree that we don't want to be married, we love and care for each other but we decided we are not right for each other. We would like to get a disolution of marriage I just need some help with it and i don't have the money for a lawyer and neither does he. I was also wondering what will happen to his case. Will they just dismiss his rquest to be a perminant resident/citizen? It has already taken him or us a long time to get to the point we are at, but i want to make sure it is done the honest way. please help us.
thank you for your time,
kristen

LdiJ

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? I am kristen and i am from ohio.

I am gonna give you a little background because it is completely necessary. I am trying to get a dissolution of marriage. I got married to my husband in november 2005 and we got separeated in late september 2008. We did not do any papaer work for the separation. I just moved to my mother's house. Here's the kicker, my husband is from another country and i petitioned for him to stay in this country. His residency should had followed down from his mother but unfortunately she did not get her citizenship until he was already 18. So, he was essentially an adult had to fend for himself. HE is having a request for his final interview to become a perminant resident and then a perminant citizen and they are asking for the paperwork. I just want to do everything the honest and legal way. DO we just write them a note saying we are separated and soon to be divorced. We both agree that we don't want to be married, we love and care for each other but we decided we are not right for each other. We would like to get a disolution of marriage I just need some help with it and i don't have the money for a lawyer and neither does he. I was also wondering what will happen to his case. Will they just dismiss his rquest to be a perminant resident/citizen? It has already taken him or us a long time to get to the point we are at, but i want to make sure it is done the honest way. please help us.
thank you for your time,
kristen
Do you and he have any children?

mistoffolees

no we don't have any children and we basically kept our finances separate but we always filed taxes jointly.
You say that you care about him and don't want to hurt him. The problem you're facing is that there are immigration issues that are going to be extremely painful if not properly handled.

I'd suggest at least a preliminary meeting with an attorney (some attorneys will give you an initial consultation for free) and, if necessary, find the money to retain one. The downside for making a mistake is very large.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">