• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Questions regarding liability of debt

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Ruthyn

What is the name of your state?Texas

My questions involve the issue of credit card debt and responsibility of repayment. 1) I got a credit card before I was married, later after I was married for a while I got my husband a card on that account. Now that we are divorced I want to make sure that if I should default on my payments he won't be held liable. I did cancel his card as soon as we got seperated. 2) I had an insurance policy while we were married but I was the only one on it, I can't remember if it was my account before I was married or not. I am looking in to that. The thing is, after we were seperated I was involved in an accident that the insurance money didn't cover all the way. The insurance lady tried to settle but they said no; I have not heard anything else about it since June and I have called them about 3 times or so. I want to know if my husband is liable for the money that the insurance didn't cover even though it was my policy to begin with (he had no license) and I was the one in the accident. 3) While we were seperated I racked up quite a bit of credit card debt, all in my name, and I want to make sure that he won't be held liable for those either. 4) I also want to know that if I should file for bakruptcy he won't be hassled for the money. 5) In our divorce papers there is an entire page that list what debt each of us is liable for as of the printing of that paper; is this any help to me? That's about it, basically I want to make sure that I am the only one that is being held liable for the debt that I incrued. Thanks.

Last edited:

LdiJ

Ruthyn said:
What is the name of your state?Texas

My questions involve the issue of credit card debt and responsibility of repayment. 1) I got a credit card before I was married, later after I was married for a while I got my husband a card on that account. Now that we are divorced I want to make sure that if I should default on my payments he won't be held liable. I did cancel his card as soon as we got seperated. 2) I had an insurance policy while we were married but I was the only one on it, I can't remember if it was my account before I was married or not. I am looking in to that. The thing is, after we were seperated I was involved in an accident that the insurance money didn't cover all the way. The insurance lady tried to settle but they said no; I have not heard anything else about it since June and I have called them about 3 times or so. I want to know if my husband is liable for the money that the insurance didn't cover even though it was my policy to begin with (he had no license) and I was the one in the accident. 3) While we were seperated I racked up quite a bit of credit card debt, all in my name, and I want to make sure that he won't be held liable for those either. 4) I also want to know that if I should file for bakruptcy he won't be hassled for the money. 5) In our divorce papers there is an entire page that list what debt each of us is liable for as of the printing of that paper; is this any help to me? That's about it, basically I want to make sure that I am the only one that is being held liable for the debt that I incrued. Thanks.
You really need to consult a bankruptcy attorney....or try asking your question on the bankruptcy forum here.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">