• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Quick Claim deed or not?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

What is the name of your state? Fl

My father bought several homes while I was a child. He placed them in my name several years ago, while I was married. They are under my name only, I have no other sibs. Now I'm about to file for divorce, does she have the right to the properties?

Thanks for your response!!

JETX

Confusedtoo said:
Now I'm about to file for divorce, does she have the right to the properties?
No, but she could make a good claim to any equity that has accrued in the properties since the marriage.

Quick claim deed on Rental property?

I guess I should of said more. Here is the scoop. The properties are my fathers rental. He gets the rent every month and pays some of the taxes. The properties are only in my name... so, she can still try to get some money off of them? If so, should I go ahead and do a quick claim deed or is that to late too?

Sorry for being confused on this issue.

LdiJ

Confusedtoo said:
I guess I should of said more. Here is the scoop. The properties are my fathers rental. He gets the rent every month and pays some of the taxes. The properties are only in my name... so, she can still try to get some money off of them? If so, should I go ahead and do a quick claim deed or is that to late too?

Sorry for being confused on this issue.
The answer remains the same. She would have a claim against the equity in the properties that accumulated during the marriage. Quit claiming the properties to someone else would probably just make things worse. You need a good attorney to handle this for you. There is some chance that you may be able to avoid having to pay out any equity to her...but there is no chance without a good attorney.

JETX

Confusedtoo said:
The properties are my fathers rental. He gets the rent every month and pays some of the taxes. The properties are only in my name...
As long as the property's are in YOUR name, who gets the rent, etc. is NOT relevant.

And with that.... your problem is even worse than you thought. In addition to the equity value since the marriage, she can now also claim a percentage of the rental proceeds (over the actual expenses).

VeronicaGia

JETX said:
As long as the property's are in YOUR name, who gets the rent, etc. is NOT relevant.

And with that.... your problem is even worse than you thought. In addition to the equity value since the marriage, she can now also claim a percentage of the rental proceeds (over the actual expenses).
JETX - love your signature! :) :) :)

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">