• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

quick question

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

beadlet

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Ohio

I am a canadian citizen, and have been already aproved permanent resident here in the united states. Our son is 3 yr old, american born citizen. Is it true that cuz I am a canadian, that he is allowed to get dual citizenship (us and canada). If that is true, and me and my husband have issues (he's us citizen), would I legally be allowed to take our son to canada (husband's permission I guess permitting, right?), since he's a canadian citizen.. to live?

Ohiogal

Queen Bee
What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Ohio

I am a canadian citizen, and have been already aproved permanent resident here in the united states. Our son is 3 yr old, american born citizen. Is it true that cuz I am a canadian, that he is allowed to get dual citizenship (us and canada). If that is true, and me and my husband have issues (he's us citizen), would I legally be allowed to take our son to canada (husband's permission I guess permitting, right?), since he's a canadian citizen.. to live?

Yes your child is a dual citizen -- you do have to file paperwork in Canada however to establish his citizenship in Canada. You would not legally be allowed to take your son to Canada to live without your husband's written notarized permission and even with that you will want a court order in place. You can't even take your child to Canada without your husband's notarized written permission or you will be stopped at the border by border patrol and subjected to questioning and may be refused entry unless you have your husband's written notarized permission.

seniorjudge

Yes your child is a dual citizen -- you do have to file paperwork in Canada however to establish his citizenship in Canada. You would not legally be allowed to take your son to Canada to live without your husband's written notarized permission and even with that you will want a court order in place. You can't even take your child to Canada without your husband's notarized written permission or you will be stopped at the border by border patrol and subjected to questioning and may be refused entry unless you have your husband's written notarized permission.
Okay, eh, I am going to ask you my Canadian law questions, eh.

But I'll bet you don't know what blédinde is?!:)

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">