• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

quit claim deeds

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

L

laughinghare

What is the name of your state? California

I recently lost an attempt to set aside my postnup. In that document I had ignorantly and unknowingly changed my separate property - my house - into community property. The judge ruled that the postnup stands, tho commenting that I may have grounds for malpractice.
I alone hold the title and the mortgage on the house, having purchased it before the marriage in 1996.
When I refinanced in 1998, again titling it as separate property and obtaining financing without the spouse, the bank asked my husband to sign a quit claim, which he did. I have since refinanced again and even gotten a home equity line, using two other banks who did not ask for a quit claim.
My question is: if the house is now community property by virtue of the post-nup, doesn't the quit claim then relinquish that right to property, in effect acting as a new post-nup? If not, why not?

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">