• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Quitclaim Deed (divorce) in massachusetts

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

goodfriend2007

What is the name of your state? MA

Hello everyone, i want to ask something, i hope i get help from here:

ok here is my situation, i went tru a divorce a year ago. i tried hard so save marriage but ex-wife didn't care at all. ex-wife signed a quitclaim deed for our house, (we used a lawyer) i paid her $25,000 to buy her out. i refinanced the house and i pay mortgage company alone in my name $2,000 a month. i decided to sell the house coz i can't afford to pay the mortgage anymore and move to a smaller house. in the separation agreement, if within two years i sell the house for more than $430,000, we split the amount over $430,000 equally. now, i put the house in the market just yesterday, but real estate agent found out that the title is still in the original. i thought it was all taken cared of the the lawyer of my ex-wife. please advise me on what to do? should i got to the county recorder bring quitclaim deed with me, and ask them to record it and change the house title on my name alone? what other papers should i bring and show to them? is there a fee for this? can i do this alone without an attorney? i'm hoping i could, i'm struggling with finances right now. and i'm all stressed out, the past is coming back to haunt me. it's awful. please advise!

seniorjudge

You didn't record the quitclaim deed?:eek::eek::eek:

Get off this computer and rush down to the courthouse and ask the recorder of deeds to put it on record immediately.

Tell your real estate agent; in fact, give them a photocopy of the recorded QCD.

nextwife

Did you record the QC? Do you have a copy with the recording info on it?

Sometimes the "records" that RE agents check is the tax ownership info- and that is not always current.

goodfriend2007

i have the QC deed from the notary public, i didn't do anything after divorce. i thought all done by the lawyer of my ex-wife. i pay the insurance, mortgage, and everything under my name now. i didn't go to the county recorder yet, as i'm waiting for more replies here, coz i don't want to go there and waste time not having the right paper to bring or good advices. i will go tomorrow. thank you hope to get more replies from you guys.

Last edited:

nextwife

i have the QC deed from the notary public, i didn't do anything after divorce. i thought all done by the lawyer of my ex-wife. i pay the insurance, mortgage, and everything under my name now. i didn't go to the county recorder yet, as i'm waiting for more replies here, coz i don't want to go there and waste time not having the right paper to bring or good advices. i will go tomorrow. thank you hope to get more replies from you guys.
Gee. GET THE DEED OF RECORD!

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">