• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Quitclaim to get Ex off timeshare

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Barry52F

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Texas

My ex and I got divorced last summer, and since we agreed upon how to split everything, we did the paperwork ourselves. We had bought a timeshare in FL back in 2001, it's paid off, so no loan to worry about, and I've been paying the yearly taxes & maintenance fees. Somehow we overlooked it in the divorce papers, but she doesn't want it and has agreed to sign the paperwork to get it in my name only.

I've gone to Palm Beach County's website and pulled up other quitclaim forms that are in the public domain, to see wording and such. The problem I have, however, is that my ex has since remarried, so she has a different last name than is on the title.

How do I list her in the document? With my last name? Or with her new last name, followed by (formerly old name).

Also, should we both be listed as the grantor and then just list me as the grantee, or should she be the only grantor? I've seen it done both ways, but don't know what the significance of that is.

Any advice is appreciated.What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)?

Ohiogal

Queen Bee
What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Texas

My ex and I got divorced last summer, and since we agreed upon how to split everything, we did the paperwork ourselves. We had bought a timeshare in FL back in 2001, it's paid off, so no loan to worry about, and I've been paying the yearly taxes & maintenance fees. Somehow we overlooked it in the divorce papers, but she doesn't want it and has agreed to sign the paperwork to get it in my name only.

I've gone to Palm Beach County's website and pulled up other quitclaim forms that are in the public domain, to see wording and such. The problem I have, however, is that my ex has since remarried, so she has a different last name than is on the title.

How do I list her in the document? With my last name? Or with her new last name, followed by (formerly old name).

Also, should we both be listed as the grantor and then just list me as the grantee, or should she be the only grantor? I've seen it done both ways, but don't know what the significance of that is.

Any advice is appreciated.What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)?
List her as HER NEW LAST NAME with Formerly Known As OLD LAST NAME. But truthfully get an attorney to prepare it.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">