• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Quite A Mess ...

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

kesodo

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? California ...

I am a British citizen but have a green card through marriage. In Dec 2008 I had to give up work due to a chronic neck and back problem, to complicate matters further I had to travel back to the UK (in Feb 2009) as my mother was diagnosed with a terminal illness. The stress of both was considerable and I found my state of health such that I was unable to travel back and I am still in the UK.

In September 2009 I received a phone call from my wife telling me that she had cancelled all the credit cards, emptied the bank accounts and was holding my travel permit as 'hostage' in order to facilitate a speedy settlement agreement.

She also informed me that she was no longer living in the house that we jointly own - instead she was renting it out. As the phone numbers had been disconnected, I had no way of veryifying this.

Any communication was and is via email and is 'spotty' at best.

I have received several forms via email (and only email) and it appears that she filed a petition for disolution of marriage on 10/1/09. Although I did not receive these forms until late November.

Her proposed agreement basically means that I walk away with my possessions, which she will send me.

She wants me to:-

1. Agree that we separated on Sept 11th, 2009.
2. Quit claim the house to her.
3. No claim on her 401k/ retirement.
4. Relinquish any rights to fixtures, fittings, cars, etc.

I have no money and, therefore, probably no way of contesting this. As I do not have a permanent UK address (I lived in the US for 11 years), I cannot get a bank account or credit card here until I do. I cannot apply for state benefit until I can prove, actual copies needed, my income, taxes paid, etc for the time I have been out of the UK - all this information is in the states.

Currently my wife is refusing to tell me where she has placed my belongings, all I could get was that they were in storage - paid until the end of January.

So ....

1. What are my rights?
2. Has the legal process already begun?
3. Does quit claiming the house remove my debt obligations should she not pay the mortgage?
4. Are we already separated?
5. What happens if I just ignore it all? Will it go to court and will the judge decide?
6. Am I able to notify the court of my circumstances?

The documentation provided by her attorney contains quite a few inaccuracies - how can these be corrected? Especially with the money and debts she has listed - and yet she wants me to sign a disclosure waiver.

I appreciate any help :)

Isis1

beg, borrow, get loans, start a church collection. DO NOT let this "just handle itself". get an attorney.

she cannot hold YOUR legal documents hostage. find out where to get copies from.

mom seems to have served you via email. as far as i've read, that wasn't included as part of legal service. the time for it might have been right.

because real estate is involved, get an attorney.

kesodo

Thanks for your advice:) I followed the first part of your comment but do not understand what you mean by the following:-

"mom seems to have served you via email. as far as i've read, that wasn't included as part of legal service. the time for it might have been right. "

What do you mean by the above?

LdiJ

Thanks for your advice:) I followed the first part of your comment but do not understand what you mean by the following:-

"mom seems to have served you via email. as far as i've read, that wasn't included as part of legal service. the time for it might have been right. "

What do you mean by the above?
What that means is that for any court case, including a divorce, you have to be "served". That means that paperwork for the case must be delivered to you according to the law, so that you have the opportunity to respond according to the law.

Email is never acceptable "service". However, its possible that your ex lied to the courts about service.

Now, first...if you are a green card holder she has no ability to cancel your "travel permit". You don't have or need a "travel permit" because you are a green card holder.

Whether or not you should fight this honestly depends on how long you were married and what kind of marital assets exist...and what kind of income your wife makes.

If you were married for 5 years, and the house has little to no equity due to the current housing market, and her 401k didn't accrue much during the marriage, and her income isn't particularly high, it may not be worth fighting. The cost of doing so may far outweigh any benefit.

If you were married for 20 years, and the house has considerable equity and her 401k increased considerably during the marriage, and/or she is a high income earner, it may very well be seriously worth fighting.

If child custody/visitation is involved at all, it also may be seriously worth fighting.

You should at least get a telephone consult with an attorney in CA.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">