• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

A Rare Problem involving a vehicle

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

ItsKindaLikeTha

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? NY

First and foremost I live in Western New York. Here is my current issue. My Ex-wife was given our old 2005 Poniac Aztek in our divorce a few years back. She recently applied for a new loan through my old local credit union and traded in the Aztek to the same place we bought the vehicle and ended up getting a 2008 poniac G6. I was not involved in this process in any way, shape or form. She applied for the loan herself yet the title was sent to her in my name and only my name.

Now according to the DMV the persons name on the title is the one who owns the car. What legal rights do I have to acquire this car or compensation for the mistake made? Any help in this matter would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks in advance...

Zigner

Senior Member, Non-Attorney
What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? NY

First and foremost I live in Western New York. Here is my current issue. My Ex-wife was given our old 2005 Poniac Aztek in our divorce a few years back. She recently applied for a new loan through my old local credit union and traded in the Aztek to the same place we bought the vehicle and ended up getting a 2008 poniac G6. I was not involved in this process in any way, shape or form. She applied for the loan herself yet the title was sent to her in my name and only my name.

Now according to the DMV the persons name on the title is the one who owns the car. What legal rights do I have to acquire this car or compensation for the mistake made? Any help in this matter would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks in advance...
Dude - it's not your car. You should return the title to the credit union and inform them of their mistake. To do otherwise is morally and legally wrong.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">