• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

re-marriage laws

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

M

Meshell

Here is my situation, please help me. I am in the military currently stationed in Washington state (my state of residency is Florida). I have been separated from my wife for two years and our divorce will be final on Monday 1/7/02. She filed in Wisconsin. I have met someone I want to remarry now.

Washington does not have a waiting period between divorce and marriage, Wisconsin does. The statues in Wisconsin state "that it is unlawful for any person to remarry who is or has been a party to an action for divorce in any court in the state, or elsewhere, to marry again until 6 months after judgement of divorce is granted."

What I want to know is which states statutes do I follow when it comes to remarrying? I have never been a resident of Wisconsin, do those statutes pertain to me? I am considered a resident of Washington, after 30 days, do those statutes pertain to me? During the divorce proceedings on Monday can I ask for a waiver on the waiting period if I have to follow Wisconsin law? I want to get married ASAP, but I don't want to make a mistake and 10 years down the road find out it is null and void because I did not follow the correct waiting period.

Please offer some hope for me........

:confused:

D

dorenephilpot

If you are not a resident of Wisconsin and do not plan to run there to get married, then its laws do not apply to you.

However, if your state doesn't have such a waiting period after dissolution, then after you are SURE your divorce has been granted (because you have seen the court-approved documents), then go forth and marry....

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">