• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Really need advice Please

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

J

jalisa

I need some advice. I doubt there is anything I can really do to protect myself but if there is any advice on how to minimize the damage I would appreciate it.

My husband and I were separated Jan 31. We cannot get divorced until a year is past due to children and Virginia laws regarding that.

July 30, he walked off his job(which gave him a 3br apt with all utilities and the highest salary he has had yet) came by my house dropped off all of the children's things and said he was hitting the road. He has since been to Las Vegas, New York...and is currently living out of his car in NY and plans on heading to Canada.

We have a car with a loan in both our names. He took that car when we separated. I tried to get it back at one point when he stopped making payments but then he caught them up so I didn't. I have paid for the car's car insurance the whole time since if he didn't keep it up I would lose my license also.

So now he is disappearing into the depths of Canada to run away from everything. He said when the car runs out of gas he will just leave it somewhere. Oh I forgot to mention that somewhere along the way on his "venture" he had a car accident so the car now has 3,500 in damage...and the loan still has 7 grand owed on it.

What do I do about this? I am currently having more than enought to worry about due to the fact that I have to worry about how to house and feed our children...how to explain to them that daddy walked away...how to try to finish school and work part time without falling into the gutter myself.

Do I call the loan people and tell him that he is somewhere upstate NY or Canada? Do I call them at all? I can't go up there myself...no money to do so...and the car I have wouldn't make it up there...and I don't even know if his car is driveable anymore.

ANY SUGGESTIONS?

I know I am legally responsible since my name is also on the loan but is there a way that I can reduce the damage?

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">