• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

reason for annulment

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

V

vblowers

What is the name of your state? pa
I got married to a marine in November 2002. We have not lived together since the marriage and he has not supported me with any of the money given to him by the military due to our marriage. Is this grounds for an annulment or do i have to get a divorce?

djohnson

An annulment differs conceptually from a divorce in that a divorce terminates a legal status, whereas an annulment establishes that marital status never existed. Common grounds for annulment may include fraud, or not disclosing a past divorce, criminal record, disease, or an inability to have children. Marriage to an underage or mentally incompetent person may also be grounds for annulment. The procedure for obtaining an annulment is similar to the procedure for obtaining a divorce. If the court determines that the marriage should be annulled, it will distribute the assets and liabilities of the parties in a manner similar to that in a divorce. For more information on annulment requirements and procedures, consult with a qualified attorney.

You will probably be better off just getting a quick divorce.

V

vblowers

He is on active duty, out of the country. Does that affect how i have to go about this?

djohnson

You can still file for divorce and would probably be the best thing to do in your circumstances. Annulments have to have reasons and you have to prove that. If there is nothing to split and no kids a cheap (you could even file yourself) divorce is the best way for you to go.

M

manda2020

If your spouse is in the military and on active duty, he or she is covered by the Soldiers' and Sailors' Civil Relief Act of 1940 (SSCRA), 50 U.S.C. App. 501 et seq. In a divorce or custody case, this act means that an active duty soldier, who is not available to defend his or her case, cannot generally be defaulted.
You could file for a divorce now but more then likely until he returns to the country, there will be a delay granted to all procedings until he returns.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">