• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Reasonable expenses

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

rmdrake

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Wyoming
My wife filed a restraining order against me after I called the police for the fourth time for her hitting me. Witnesses told the police that night she admitted hitting me. These witnesses gave depostitions to my lawyer and two hours later the restraining order was dropped. We agreed to a legal seperation and have a divorce pending. There are two months left on the lease where my wife and I were living. I know I am legally responsible for 50% of those bills, but is my wife legally responsilbe for 50% of my rent and utilities until the above lease expires?

LdiJ

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Wyoming
My wife filed a restraining order against me after I called the police for the fourth time for her hitting me. Witnesses told the police that night she admitted hitting me. These witnesses gave depostitions to my lawyer and two hours later the restraining order was dropped. We agreed to a legal seperation and have a divorce pending. There are two months left on the lease where my wife and I were living. I know I am legally responsible for 50% of those bills, but is my wife legally responsilbe for 50% of my rent and utilities until the above lease expires?
Whoever is living in the apartment is responsible for the rent as far as the separation/divorce is concerned. As far as legally, regarding the landlord, whoever's name is on the lease is ultimately responsible.

So, if you are living in the apartment, the divorce court won't hold her responsible for the rent, but the landlord could if you don't pay...but if you don't pay, the divorce court could ding you.

rmdrake

Further clarification needed please

I was not allowed back into the apartment. I had to get myself a different apartment. My wife continued to live there. All of the utilities were in my name so in order to keep in good standing with credit I paid 100% of these. I have also been paying half of the rent in a place I did not reside and 100% of the expense in my new place. If I understand your reply correct, my wife would be held responsible for 100% of my old place since she was the sole occupant by the courts. I know she will refuse to pay this. Thus, the landlord could file for what is not paid against any individual who signed the lease, which is both of us. My lawyer is telling me Wyoming courts will rule it a 50/50 split. I must pay half even though I was not living there. I have also been told, to start, the courts will rule she must pay half of my expenses for the new place I was forced to get. I am now being advised to forfeit $2300, which is half of the total expenses for both places. I am still undecided on whether to just be done and get on with my life or fight for this money, even though it will certainly cost the same to try and get it. What I need to know is what Wyoming law says is her legal responsiblities in this. Will we both be held 100% for only our own places?

mistoffolees

I was not allowed back into the apartment. I had to get myself a different apartment. My wife continued to live there. All of the utilities were in my name so in order to keep in good standing with credit I paid 100% of these. I have also been paying half of the rent in a place I did not reside and 100% of the expense in my new place. If I understand your reply correct, my wife would be held responsible for 100% of my old place since she was the sole occupant by the courts. I know she will refuse to pay this. Thus, the landlord could file for what is not paid against any individual who signed the lease, which is both of us. My lawyer is telling me Wyoming courts will rule it a 50/50 split. I must pay half even though I was not living there. I have also been told, to start, the courts will rule she must pay half of my expenses for the new place I was forced to get. I am now being advised to forfeit $2300, which is half of the total expenses for both places. I am still undecided on whether to just be done and get on with my life or fight for this money, even though it will certainly cost the same to try and get it. What I need to know is what Wyoming law says is her legal responsiblities in this. Will we both be held 100% for only our own places?
There are 2 months left on the lease. It will probably cost you more to fight about it than your half of the rent on the old place. It would be very unlikely that the courts would make a retroactive decision on the matter, anyway, and it will take you a while to get before a judge, so you're not likely to win much, anyway. If you had already been to court and had an order for her to be responsible, that would be a different matter.

I believe you were given incorrect information about the new place. If you moved out and moved into your own place, then your wife has no obligation to pay it. You had an apartment which you could have lived in (if she was a danger to you, you could have gotten a restraining order against her and SHE would have had to find a place to live). You voluntarily chose to get a second apartment, so the expense is your problem.

You're separated and working toward divorce. It's time for you to start taking responsibility for your own living expenses. Your wife doesn't have to pay for your new apartment or utilities.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">