• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

reconcilement

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

L

Lil mama JMC

What is the name of your state? VA

My husband and I were legally seperated in November of 2000. I moved out for about six months and came home in June of 2001. Although we have been living together again for almost 2 years, I'm not sure if we're still legally seperated or not. When there is a legal seperation, is legal reconcilliation necessary?

I AM ALWAYS LIABLE

Lil mama JMC said:
What is the name of your state? VA

My husband and I were legally seperated in November of 2000. I moved out for about six months and came home in June of 2001. Although we have been living together again for almost 2 years, I'm not sure if we're still legally seperated or not. When there is a legal seperation, is legal reconcilliation necessary?

My response:

As of right now, the State still sees you two as separated. That means, neither of you have a legal responsibility to each other - - even though you're living together. Also, if either one of you drops dead, the other can't take from your respective estates.

So, I presume that it is your intent to stay married, and to have things back to where they were prior to the legal separation - - correct?

If that's so, then all the two of you have to do is sign and file a "Dismissal" form in your Separation action. Get the form from the court Clerk and when both of you sign and date it, and then give it back to the Clerk for filing, then "POOF" your "Legal Separation" is over and done. Your court file is closed.

IAAL

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">