• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

recording phone calls

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

lopan122

ohio. Hi, can someone please let me know if a phone call you record from the other parent is admissible in court and or with the police? I got a call i recorded from other parent (we have a daughter together, were divorced)threatening me and it may come down to court or police involvement and i need to know if the recorded call is admissible? And text messages too thanks

Last edited:

lopan122

ty. from what it says i'm legally allowed, though doesn't say if i can use the recording in court/ for police action purposes

Ohiogal

Queen Bee
ty. from what it says i'm legally allowed, though doesn't say if i can use the recording in court/ for police action purposes
You would need to establish proper foundation for the recordings if they are to be used in court. And you would need to abide by the rules of evidence.

Ohiogal

Queen Bee
forgive my ignorance about such matters, but could you please give me some ideas about such things?
Google and read the rules of evidence. If you are going in to court without an attorney, you need to know what you are up against.

CdwJava

What kind of legal action are you hoping for? What kind of threats are we talking about? Not all "threats" are illegal. In fact, most are not.

If he is threatening to take you to court for some reason, that's not likely to be criminal. if he said he has a gun and he's coming to shoot you and your whole family, that might be. The content of the "threat," your belief in its credibility, his ability to carry out the threat, and whether it is conditional or not, can all play a part in the evaluation.

So, what is being said?

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">