• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Refinance mortgage decree

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

sweetdaughter

Indiana

I have a legal divorce decree that states that my exhusband had until the end of 2008 to refinance the mortgage on the house that we shared and has both of our names listed as guarantors. He has not done this. I want to buy a home and can't because of this. What recourse do I have to force him to comply with the decree and refinance in his name? I have not lived at the property for 15 months and our decree was final in Feb 2008.What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)?

LdiJ

Indiana

I have a legal divorce decree that states that my exhusband had until the end of 2008 to refinance the mortgage on the house that we shared and has both of our names listed as guarantors. He has not done this. I want to buy a home and can't because of this. What recourse do I have to force him to comply with the decree and refinance in his name? I have not lived at the property for 15 months and our decree was final in Feb 2008.What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)?
Are you certain that he can be approved for a refinance? The solution, when someone is not obeying a court order, is to file for contempt. However, if he cannot get approved, then you have a problem and may need to try to convince the judge to order that the house be sold.

sweetdaughter

Thanks for the advice. No, I am quite certain that he cannot get approved on his own. So I can file for contempt. That at least gives me a starting place.

Zigner

Senior Member, Non-Attorney
Thanks for the advice. No, I am quite certain that he cannot get approved on his own. So I can file for contempt. That at least gives me a starting place.
He won't be found in contempt.
The judge would need to change the order from a refi to a sale.

LdiJ

If you knew that he couldn't refinance then why didn't you insist on a sale from the get go?

nextwife

He won't be found in contempt.
The judge would need to change the order from a refi to a sale.
And if it's upside down, he probably can neither refi nor sell until the market corrects, unless you and he have sufficient funds to bring cash to the table to make up any shortfall.

Zigner

Senior Member, Non-Attorney
And if it's upside down, he probably can neither refi nor sell until the market corrects, unless you and he have sufficient funds to bring cash to the table to make up any shortfall.
Very good observation...

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">