• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Refusal of Asset division

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

aysutton

What is the name of your state?What is the name of your state?
Washington

My ex-husband is threatening to not follow through with the division of assets as stated in the divorce decree.

What are my options and how much does it cost to pursue?

Bali Hai

aysutton said:
Washington

My ex-husband is threatening to not follow through with the division of assets as stated in the divorce decree.

That's different than NOT following through.

If he in fact does not obey the court orders, tell your lawyer that you want to proceed with a contempt motion against him.

LdiJ

aysutton said:
Washington

Your options are to file for contempt of court. How much it will cost will depend on how stubborn/stupid he decides to be. You really need to have an attorney handling this for you....and the cost will depend on 1) how much time it takes, and 2) whether or not the judge will order him to pay your legal fees (if your attorney property asks the judge to order that)

Bali Hai

LdiJ said:
Your options are to file for contempt of court.

And of course the court will decide the credibility of the so-called "threat not to obey the orders" based on evidence presented by the plaintiff AND defendant.

How much it will cost will depend on how stubborn/stupid he decides to be.
You really need to have an attorney handling this for you....and the cost will depend on 1) how much time it takes, and 2) whether or not the judge will order him to pay your legal fees (if your attorney property asks the judge to order that)
Someone can "threaten" not to obey a court order out of anger. Whether they carry out that threat is another thing.

People must obey court orders, but they don't have to say they "like" doing it. And they have every right to say they DON'T like doing it.

LdiJ

Bali Hai said:
Someone can "threaten" not to obey a court order out of anger. Whether they carry out that threat is another thing.

People must obey court orders, but they don't have to say they "like" doing it. And they have every right to say they DON'T like doing it.
Sure they have every right to say that they don't like doing it. However, that isn't what he is saying.

Bali Hai

LdiJ said:
Sure they have every right to say that they don't like doing it. However, that isn't what he is saying.

Yes, it does appear to be the case from the posters perspective.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">