• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Refuses to Take Parenting Class

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

sssicfc

What is the name of your state? Indiana

I need some legal information. A friend of mine filed for divorce. At the preliminary hearing the judge ordered both of them to take a parenting class before the divorce is finalized. The husband is refusing to take the class. He said "it is stupid and (he) doesn't want a divorce". What should her course of action be? She doesn't have any money and can't afford an attorney. The last hearing was January 11th. He still hasn't taken the class.

Ohiogal

Queen Bee
When is the next hearing scheduled? She could file a motion asking the court to hold dad in contempt for refusing to take the class and ask the court to suspend visitation for dad until he takes said class.

sssicfc

There is no hearing scheduled. The judge ordered them to complete the classes and then a set up a final hearing.

mistoffolees

There is no hearing scheduled. The judge ordered them to complete the classes and then a set up a final hearing.
Did the judge set a time limit for him to take the course? If he did and the time limit has passed, you can file for contempt and ask for a final hearing. If there was no time limit, I'd ask for a final hearing and explain that he's refusing to take the course so you'd like the hearing anyway. If there's no time limit, it's going to be hard to hold him in contempt (he could always say he planned to take it).

LdiJ

Just FYI, my ex and I had been separated for several years prior to getting our official divorce, (in Indiana) and we both tried to avoid taking the class. We felt like it was kind of pointless since we were (are) good friends and were co-parenting without any conflicts.

The judge wouldn't sign off on our paperwork until we did.

When my husband went through his divorce years ago he and his ex wife were ordered to take parenting classes, also in Indiana. He completed the classes as soon as possible, and also completed a parenting class on the internet that his attorney recommended. His ex wife refused to take the classes. Finally my husband stood up in court during a hearing and asked the judge why he was being forced to remain married to this woman. He had completed parenting classes 6 months prior to that hearing. His ex wife had refused and had not shown up for the hearings regarding mediation and other issues for months. The judge said he was right. He granted my husband custody of the children and his divorce. The ex wife got EOW visitation that she used for 2-3 months. His ex wife was not charged with contempt.

Perhaps it just depends on the judge, BUT a judge is not going to force someone to stay married just because the OP doesn't want to get divorced. Your friend needs to file for contmept. Without an attorney to do those things for her she could end-up married to the jerk forever. His attitude about the parenting classes just shows everyone what a sterling personality he must have!

Bali Hai

When my husband went through his divorce years ago he and his ex wife were ordered to take parenting classes, also in Indiana. He completed the classes as soon as possible, and also completed a parenting class on the internet that his attorney recommended. His ex wife refused to take the classes. Finally my husband stood up in court during a hearing and asked the judge why he was being forced to remain married to this woman. He had completed parenting classes 6 months prior to that hearing. His ex wife had refused and had not shown up for the hearings regarding mediation and other issues for months. The judge said he was right. He granted my husband custody of the children and his divorce. The ex wife got EOW visitation that she used for 2-3 months. His ex wife was not charged with contempt.

Perhaps it just depends on the judge, BUT a judge is not going to force someone to stay married just because the OP doesn't want to get divorced. Your friend needs to file for contmept. Without an attorney to do those things for her she could end-up married to the jerk forever. His attitude about the parenting classes just shows everyone what a sterling personality he must have!
Why didn't the judge find her in contempt??? How much child support does she pay???

Why didn't the judge find her in contempt??? How much child support does she pay???

My husband's attorney evidentally didn't ask the court to find her in contempt. He should have.

The judge told her that if she did not comply with the visitation schedule for one year she would have to pay CS from the day the divorce was final. She did not comply, but my husband never took it back to court. She is an alcoholic, and it is easier to not have the money than it is to have drunken calls at all hours of the day and night. There was always the worry of the kids getting in the car with her when she had been drinking.

Presumably because he did something worse - he took her kids away from her. A contempt charge would be nothing compared to that.
The really sad part is that she was happy the kids were gone. Less laundry, no meals to prepare, no reason to have to get up in the morning. She was really excited about it.

Sorry if I hijacked.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">