• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Regarding husband had a heart attack

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Ohiogal

Queen Bee
What is the name of your state? Ohio
Sorry folks but I need to respond to this.
BS again Ohiogal.

Yes, you may be technically correct if mom was asking for supervision.
Actually mom is asking for supervision if she wants to require dad to have someone else there. Dad has a right to be alone with his child.

However mom isn't asking for supervision. She is asking for another person, even a 10 year old, to be present for a few months until its more certain that dad's medical issues have stabilized. She is being totally reasonable. Dad is not.
This is a LEGAL board for crying out loud. YOU should know that. She is asking for dad to be supervised. In order for a court to order that dad have someone else available during dad's time with his child there has to be proof of the child being in danger. So mom would need to show with PROOF that dad's health is a danger to the child. In Ohio supervision does not have to take place in a supervision center and can be relatively under the radar but this is a case where mom IS asking for supervision.

I am saying this from the standpoint of a person who DID have a mild heart attack many years ago. I insisted on someone else being present 24/7 for a couple of months afterwards, FOR THE SAFETY OF MY INFANT CHILD.

And that is YOUR choice. YOUR choice.

I am also familiar with cases where judges ordered that someone else be present, not for supervision, but due to medical issues and safety issues for the child.
And in OHIO that is considered supervision and supervised visitation which would require proving that dad is a danger to the child. Or dad's health puts the child at risk. But there would have to be PROOF that dad's health puts the child at risk currently and not because a past heart attack happened in which dad handled the situation.

Yes, its possible that a lazy judge and poor attorneys could end up with the result you described. However that isn't in the best interest of the child, and you would be a poor attorney in my opinion for not encouraging your client to have someone else present in a similar scenario.
WRONG! A judge has to follow the law. If dad feels that he is capable of handling his child without others being ordered to be present and there is no medical proof stating that another heart attack is guaranteed and would pose a danger to the child then a judge cannot order supervision.

Its a no-brainer. "I had a heart attack...my infant child needs a backup person present until my health has stabilized."
Who is to say when the husband's health is stabilized? Seriously. If a doctor says he is okay then that is what matters. It doens't matter with the lover, wife or anyone else thinks. A judge will rule for dad unless there is proof otherwise. Now if he wants to voluntarily have someone else around that is fine but a judge/court WILL NOT order supervised visitation.

Unless of course you are willing to be a participant in one of those cases where an infant or toddler ends up being alone with their parent's dead body for some period of time...because some idiot attorney didn't explain "reality" to their client.
Hey Ld when are you going to die? Seriously. NO ONE knows when that is. NO ONE. You could drop dead in five minutes. Anyone could die at any time and your child or grandchild could be with you. By your argument NO ONE should ever be alone with a child because of what MIGHT happen. And if you have a disease or medical difficulty then you most definitely should not be alone. Blind people shouldn't have children because they can't see at all. Diabetics should not be alone with their children because they could lapse into a diabetic coma. People with heart problems shouldn't be alone because their heart could stop. Asthmatics should not be alone with their children because they could stop breathing. Epileptics could have a grand mal seizure at any time so they need someone with them at all times. And if you have an undiagnosed medical condition -- dang now what? OH yeah. EVERYONE needs to have a full physical and medical workup before they see their child at any time.

I have been really rude here. That isn't normally what I want to do. I respect you greatly but when you respond to things in this respect it frustrates the heck out of me. You KNOW better. I am certain that you would NEVER advise a client this way, so why in the heck would you put this kind of thing out on an internet message board?
Yes you have been really rude -- you consistently jump on my case when I post something and I have grown used to. But saying that I know better? Excuse me but I have been in Ohio courts and know Ohio law. This poster is from Ohio. I know what I know which is that a judge is not going to order dad to have someone else present when he is with his child unless there is PROOF that he is a danger to his child. And you don't know HOW I would advise a client. I put this kind of thing on an internet message board because it happens to be the truth. It happens to be fact. You may not agree with said fact. You may do something completely different. You may think that judges should not allow anyone with a heart attack alone with a child becuase of WHAT MIGHT happen. But courts don't go with what MIGHT happen. They need proof -- not speculation -- that dad's medical condition is a danger to the child. And based on the facts presented it is not.

If dad personally decides that someone else will be present at visitations that is fine. But unless there is proof provided then dad is not going to be ordered to have someone present nor can mom suspend visitation based on what MIGHT happen. Dad had a minor heart attack and the child was with him. The child was NOT in danger. He contacted someone and the situation was taken care of. Those are the facts. Those are what you have to deal with.

Just Blue

What is the name of your state? Ohio
Sorry folks but I need to respond to this.

Actually mom is asking for supervision if she wants to require dad to have someone else there. Dad has a right to be alone with his child.

This is a LEGAL board for crying out loud. YOU should know that. She is asking for dad to be supervised. In order for a court to order that dad have someone else available during dad's time with his child there has to be proof of the child being in danger. So mom would need to show with PROOF that dad's health is a danger to the child. In Ohio supervision does not have to take place in a supervision center and can be relatively under the radar but this is a case where mom IS asking for supervision.

And that is YOUR choice. YOUR choice.

And in OHIO that is considered supervision and supervised visitation which would require proving that dad is a danger to the child. Or dad's health puts the child at risk. But there would have to be PROOF that dad's health puts the child at risk currently and not because a past heart attack happened in which dad handled the situation.

WRONG! A judge has to follow the law. If dad feels that he is capable of handling his child without others being ordered to be present and there is no medical proof stating that another heart attack is guaranteed and would pose a danger to the child then a judge cannot order supervision.

Who is to say when the husband's health is stabilized? Seriously. If a doctor says he is okay then that is what matters. It doens't matter with the lover, wife or anyone else thinks. A judge will rule for dad unless there is proof otherwise. Now if he wants to voluntarily have someone else around that is fine but a judge/court WILL NOT order supervised visitation.

Hey Ld when are you going to die? Seriously. NO ONE knows when that is. NO ONE. You could drop dead in five minutes. Anyone could die at any time and your child or grandchild could be with you. By your argument NO ONE should ever be alone with a child because of what MIGHT happen. And if you have a disease or medical difficulty then you most definitely should not be alone. Blind people shouldn't have children because they can't see at all. Diabetics should not be alone with their children because they could lapse into a diabetic coma. People with heart problems shouldn't be alone because their heart could stop. Asthmatics should not be alone with their children because they could stop breathing. Epileptics could have a grand mal seizure at any time so they need someone with them at all times. And if you have an undiagnosed medical condition -- dang now what? OH yeah. EVERYONE needs to have a full physical and medical workup before they see their child at any time.

Yes you have been really rude -- you consistently jump on my case when I post something and I have grown used to. But saying that I know better? Excuse me but I have been in Ohio courts and know Ohio law. This poster is from Ohio. I know what I know which is that a judge is not going to order dad to have someone else present when he is with his child unless there is PROOF that he is a danger to his child. And you don't know HOW I would advise a client. I put this kind of thing on an internet message board because it happens to be the truth. It happens to be fact. You may not agree with said fact. You may do something completely different. You may think that judges should not allow anyone with a heart attack alone with a child becuase of WHAT MIGHT happen. But courts don't go with what MIGHT happen. They need proof -- not speculation -- that dad's medical condition is a danger to the child. And based on the facts presented it is not.

If dad personally decides that someone else will be present at visitations that is fine. But unless there is proof provided then dad is not going to be ordered to have someone present nor can mom suspend visitation based on what MIGHT happen. Dad had a minor heart attack and the child was with him. The child was NOT in danger. He contacted someone and the situation was taken care of. Those are the facts. Those are what you have to deal with.
:cool: :cool: :cool: **************......

Shay-Pari'e

I think we were all kind of jumping on the moral issue and not the legal issue.

I tend to ignore Ldij for the most part, you should try it, it is very theraputic.

She is not a lawyer, knows nothing of the law, and frankly has her own family issues to deal with. (But she seems proud of that).

Ok, Rant over,

My boat is on the water TODAY! 90 yesterday and is supposed to be the same today.

Sorry East coast fans,

;)

Just Blue

I think we were all kind of jumping on the moral issue and not the legal issue.

I tend to ignore Ldij for the most part, you should try it, it is very theraputic.

She is not a lawyer, knows nothing of the law, and frankly has her own family issues to deal with. (But she seems proud of that).

Ok, Rant over,

My boat is on the water TODAY! 90 yesterday and is supposed to be the same today.

Sorry East coast fans,

;)
Hey...It's up to 54 right now.....:p

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">