• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Reimbursement Alimony

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

U

upstateny1

I live in Albany,NY and I am married to an RN student. My wife graduates in May 2002 with a nursing degree(AAS). We have a daughter (3) together. She will obtain her RN shortly after her graduation. I have supported her and her son for 3-1/2 years now while she has attended college. She uses her child support for her previous marriage's credit card payments. She gets VA for college so I do not pay the tuition and book bills. She pays no household bills as I pay it all. My question is this : If she decides to leave shortly after graduation can I be "reimbursed" for supporting her and her son. After all we agreed that her getting a nursing degree was for the sake of the family's future.

D

dorenephilpot

I can only speak about what might happen in Indiana:

Sometimes courts will order repayment of school fees if one spouse supported another during school and paid the tuition, etc., and it appears she was just using you to help get her degree and then moved to dump you as soon as she got it.

However, if you paid her living expenses, you did so voluntarily, and I sincerely doubt any court would order her to reimburse you for those.....

FYI, if the child stays with her and you are paying support, your support likely will end up being less as a result of the nursing degree and salary that comes with it.

I

irisheyes_ny

HI,I just found this forum and noticed your name ..just thought I would say hi..I'm in Albany too..good luck!

U

upstateny1

Thanks for the info. The original intent was to build a better life for our daughter. It doesn't seem fair that she would "get away" with just using the situation after we agreed that her future income would better the whole family. If I had known this back three years ago I would never had agreed to sacrificing for all this time.

Thanks

Last edited:

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">