• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Release all rights to dower on home

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

divorce_again

Ohio

We bought a home when married but everything was in my name because of his terrible credit.
He signed a line that states "he releases all rights and expectancy of the dower in the said property."
We are now getting a divorce, does this mean he has no rights to the principal on the house if i stay or sell, or does it really mean nothing at all in a divorce?

Ohiogal

Queen Bee
Ohio

We bought a home when married but everything was in my name because of his terrible credit.
He signed a line that states "he releases all rights and expectancy of the dower in the said property."
We are now getting a divorce, does this mean he has no rights to the principal on the house if i stay or sell, or does it really mean nothing at all in a divorce?
When did he sign it and how long have you been married since?

divorce_again

When did he sign it and how long have you been married since?
He signed it when we originally bought the house. that was 2007, and we are divorcing in the next couple months.

Is that a quitclaim deed type of thing? I don't know anything about this stuff.
it was signed on Form 3036, which I think is the Security Instrument. I don't have the complete form in front of me.

Last edited:

Ohiogal

Queen Bee
He signed it when we originally bought the house. that was 2007, and we are divorcing in the next couple months.

Is that a quitclaim deed type of thing? I don't know anything about this stuff.
He is entitled to the portion of equity at least from then until now. Ohio is an equitable distribution state. You will keep the house but he will be entitled to equity portion.

divorce_again

He is entitled to the portion of equity at least from then until now. Ohio is an equitable distribution state. You will keep the house but he will be entitled to equity portion.
Thank you. I keep coming across this, The Ohio Revised Code provides that a spouse has a life estate interest in One Third of the real property owned by a spouse any time during the marriage. Any document that intends to convey property will not terminate the dower interest unless that spouse has also signed the document. Traditionally, dower is terminated By signing a deed releasing dower;

Now, if I want to sell the house for whatever price I choose and get, can I do that without any says on his part since he basically signed away rights of ownership when we bought it and the title and deed is clear of his name already. And then we would be split whatever profit the bank does not get at 50 - 50?

I do have a lawyer but he is out of town until mid next week and I was just getting all the papers together and seen that form. Thanks for any info!

Last edited:

Ohiogal

Queen Bee
Thank you. I keep coming across this, The Ohio Revised Code provides that a spouse has a life estate interest in One Third of the real property owned by a spouse any time during the marriage. Any document that intends to convey property will not terminate the dower interest unless that spouse has also signed the document. Traditionally, dower is terminated By signing a deed releasing dower;

Now, if I want to sell the house for whatever price I choose and get, can I do that without any says on his part since he basically signed away rights of ownership when we bought it and the title and deed is clear of his name already. And then we would be split whatever profit the bank does not get at 50 - 50?

I do have a lawyer but he is out of town until mid next week and I was just getting all the papers together and seen that form. Thanks for any info!
If divorce is filed, YOU CANNOT sell any property without permission of the court. If you do, you could possibly owe your husband ALL the profits from the sale.

LdiJ

If divorce is filed, YOU CANNOT sell any property without permission of the court. If you do, you could possibly owe your husband ALL the profits from the sale.
Unless of course the husband agrees to the sale and agrees to the division of proceeds.

OP, just to give you an example of how badly you could get yourself in trouble, here is something that really happened.

The husband was the only owner of record of the house. The house was worth 120k and they had a mortgage balance of 60k. Husband was so ticked off that his wife would get any money at all from the sale of the house that he sold it for just enough to cover the mortgage, closing costs and realtor fees. The judge was so ticked off that he did that, that the judge ordered that he had to pay his wife the difference between what he sold it for, and what it could have been sold for if he hadn't been an idiot. He ended up owing her almost 50k.

If you sell the house at fair market value and share the proceeds equally with your husband its unlikely that the judge would have any gripe with you, even if your husband thinks you could have held out for a little more. If you sell it at a bargain basement price, just to get out from under the mortgage, then you risk the wrath of the judge. And that risk is there whether your sell it while the divorce is pending or sell it after the divorce is final.

So, be smart. If you need/want to sell, get a professional appraisal and put it on the market at FMV. Only reduce the price if its clear that its not going to sell at the appraisal level.

amandawhite

Getting divorced

Hi , I have a similar doubt . I am getting divorced and petition is already filed. Our current mortgage balance is around 30 k. It is on 5 year fixed rate. I want to sell the house. Can I use LOC to save penalties and to have the freedom to sell now. Our mortgage is with Northwood Mortgage in Ontario and it is up for renewal now. Please share your tips.

stealth2

Under the Radar Member
Hi , I have a similar doubt . I am getting divorced and petition is already filed. Our current mortgage balance is around 30 k. It is on 5 year fixed rate. I want to sell the house. Can I use LOC to save penalties and to have the freedom to sell now. Our mortgage is with Northwood Mortgage in Ontario and it is up for renewal now. Please share your tips.
I'd tell you to start your own thread, but we deal with US law only. You'll need to find a Canadian forum or speak with a solicitor in ON.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">